How would I connect a clutch to my engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Oblivious mechanic

Jul 9, 2022
I am very new to this hobby, and I need a little help getting started. I am trying to us a weed wacker engine to power my bike. I want it to be chain driven. So I would need to some how attach a sprocket and clutch to my engines output shaft. The only problem is that I can not find a clutch small enough for my engine. The output shaft is way to small for the clutches I see online. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. I think the output shaft is a 5/16ths shaft.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Honestly... There probably aren't any clutches out there that will simply bolt right onto that engine... You're going to have to fabricate your own parts & modify what you have.

On top of that, you're also going to have to engineer & fabricate engine mounts & figure out what gear ratios are going to work best with the limited HP that engine has.

If you're very new to this hobby (& have little fabrication ability); I suggest buying a cheap engine kit as your first project so that you can more easily get rolling down the road. (^)

Also... posting the very same question in two different places won't get you better results :(

Oblivious mechanic

Jul 9, 2022
Honestly... There probably aren't any clutches out there that will simply bolt right onto that engine... You're going to have to fabricate your own parts & modify what you have.

On top of that, you're also going to have to engineer & fabricate engine mounts & figure out what gear ratios are going to work best with the limited HP that engine has.

If you're very new to this hobby (& have little fabrication ability); I suggest buying a cheap engine kit as your first project so that you can more easily get rolling down the road. (^)

Also... posting the very same question in two different places won't get you better results :(
Thank you for the advise. Also I did not mean to post thus twice and I do not know how to remove the other one. :)