How should I paint an engine shroud?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by Newbie, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Hi guys, recently bought and installed a robin-subaru staton kit, and so far am loving it. However, the yellow shroud doesn't match the bike at all. How should I go about painting it? I was figuring degrease, light sand, primer, then paint, but then I found out about Krylon fusion. Apparently it doesn't require any sanding or priming. Opinions and advice would be appreciated.

2. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I personally have no experience with Krylon Fusion paint. Is it the one made especially for plastic? I saw some paint recently that was formulated for use on plastic lawn furniture etc. It might have been the Fusion stuff. I don't know how the Staton/Subaru plastic compares but I've painted several Titan shrouds using various rattle can paints. Degreasing is the important part, sanding and priming is needed if you're going for a very smooth finish. The shrouds have always taken paint very well but the fuel tanks are a different story. They're made from a different plastic than the shrouds and they tend to blister well after the paint is dry. Don't ask me why.
    Tom

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I painted the shroud on my HuaSheng with Fusion,,,turned out pretty nice, I think :)
    not sure about the robin, but I painted the inside as well because it is visible from the left side of the engine at certain angles ;)

Attached Files:

4. CoastalCruiser

CoastalCruiser New Member

5. thxcuz

thxcuz Member

dumb question here, I have to remove the shroud first, right? Fusion is great paint, not only for plastic

6. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I use good engine paint for the engine itself, Krylon plastic paint for the fan shroud & BBQ paint for the exhaust pipe... Here's a pic of a 'murdered out' 4-stroke bike that I recently built.
    If I had a pic of the other side, you could see that the whole engine is black engine too. :/

[​IMG]

#6 Venice Motor Bikes, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. Ibedayank

Ibedayank New Member

if you crash it it still will scrape off
    but does not flake off like regular paint

8. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

deleted from this forum.

#8 The_Aleman, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  9. tommyboy1442

tommyboy1442 Member

u can use any sparay paint on anything, i use 98 cents walmart paint on motors and it holds up great even under heat. u can buy the 98 cent primer also -lol however, for high heat apps, use the bbq paint or the rustoleum engine enamle. funny thing tho, it says on the rustoleum engine enamle its resistant to oil and fuel, i found out its all lies, that stuff came off fast when exposed to fuel, but holds up to oil great. but check this stuff out brother. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAN-ED-...316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c652fe794

10. biknut

biknut Active Member

I've tried several different BBQ black, and high heat paint brands. Most of them don't tolerate fuel spills very well.

The best brand I've tried is Dupli-Color Ceramic, 500 degree engine enamel. It resists fuel better then the others after it cures. Low Gloss Black rocks

11. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

After you take it off hang it with a wire coat hanger so you can turn it around and hit it from all sides and it can dry with only the wire touching it. Hope you have a bug free place for it to dry as well. We used to wash parts in a phosphate shower before going thru a bake oven then parts got sprayed and baked again. This 100 degree weather is good for something LOL!

Just found this:

OVERVIEW:
    Rust-Oleum Specialty Plastic Primer Spray prepares plastic for painting with any top coat. Apply directly to plastic mailboxes, lawn chairs, storage lockers and more. Adheres to hard-to-paint surfaces.
    PRODUCT FEATURES:
    Adheres to hard-to-paint surfaces
    Renew or change the color of plastic items around the home
    Choose from a variety of top coat colors

Tip:
    Wipe down new surfaces with a paint thinner before applying.

#11 george_n_texas, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Thats the kind I use! (except I like the semi gloss). (^)

Also... Here's a pic of the other side of that engine.
    [​IMG]

13. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

deleted from this forum.

#13 The_Aleman, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  14. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

15. biknut

biknut Active Member

I friend of mine got a Earl Scheib paint job. They painted over the bird turds.