how do you ride?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Alway's with the traffic!! I was under the assumption that in most states if not all that it is againt's the law to ride againts traffic :confused:

roman415

May 15, 2008
I ride with the flow. Gives other motorists more time to notice / react to you. Going against traffic is illegal and dangerous

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Never against traffic - easy way to get splatted without trying - although if you can try and take a BMW with you and make peoples life easier lol.

As someone else said - walk against traffic if you can - means they see you.

Jemma xx

fr491355

Jun 19, 2008
It's a given, I go against traffic in unpopulated areas so I can see if there's traffic coming instead of constantly having to look behind me. If I am riding next to a bunch of cars, I go with the flow, but generally stay as far to the right as possible.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i ride on the left side of the road with the flow of traffic. was hard to get used to because you would look the wrong way for traffic. with the car at first i would look and say look at that dummy ridding on the wrong side of the road then i would relize i was the dummy.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
i know its illegal but i ride against the flow, because within a week of me being in the US, i was riding with the flow and someone hit me from behind and launched me off my bike

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I ride with traffic and do not ride in the gutter unless I am run in there by a car or emergency. The Arizona rules of the road are for a bike or slow moving vehicle to have the right side of the road , not gutter. If I am already in the gutter I have no where to bail out. Also there are many uneven surfaces between road and gutter that may make me loose control. I developed this over 35 years of commuting by bicycle and racing in pace lines. I feel very comfortable riding my motor bike, it's kinda like motor pacing except I always have the motor with me and can't loose the draft of the pace vehicle. I forgot I usually turn left from the left turn lane.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I drive defensively. The life you save is yours.
I usually obey the rules of the road.
I have had the wind push me across the roadway into oncoming traffic. Lots O fun.
During MONSOON season. here in the woolly wild west.
I do not ride in windy conditions any more. 60 plus mph gusts.

During high winds I ride puckered and clenched!

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
We have Monsoon here and it is a problem that is best to avoid as well. We get the winds and dust or rain that makes it difficult if not unsafe to ride. Riding is not a real safe activity so I don't worry but do try to make it a reasonable activity. Of course I would die of boredom if I did not ride so I am in a catch 22 situation. Riding with traffic is safer than against as you move too fast on a bike (from 15 to 30 mph) to be coming from the wrong way at intersections and drive ways where entering traffic looks in a set pattern for traffic. I ride and will sometimes not see a rider coming from the wrong way when I am driving. This is a far more frequent crash than somebody hitting a rider from behind.

Last edited: