How did you get injured on your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
I fear my day to fall or get hit is coming and I want to be ready. Could you a please share your story?

My brother took my bike out for a spin and wiped out on loose chip and seal. Only minor road rash injuries.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Re: How did you get injured on your motor bike?

Foot slipped off pedal and got whacked in the knee. Smacked my shin on the ghetto-temp muffler clamp. ...That's about it.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK

Wet road and idiotic use of the front brake... and down I went like a sack of potatoes.

Injuries were mainly bruising - but they were very impressive. I also had a lot of aches and pains mainly from pulled muscles and other problems.

The bike had a completely massacred brake lever and some damage (that appeared later) to the fuel tank on the motor.

Jemma xx

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

I MET A LITTLE, OLD FELLOW AT THE CONVIENCE STORE THE OTHER DAY. BY LITTLE I MEAN, HE WANTED TO BE A HORSE JOCKY WHEN HE WAS YOUNG (HE TOLD ME THAT, WHEN I ASKED HIM WHAT HE WANTED TO BE WHEN HE GREW UP, HE WAS A TINY FELLOW) HE HAS BEEN RIDING HIS CHINA BIKE, COASTER BRAKE FOR 1 1/2 YRS. SAID HE HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH MOTORBIKE. EXCEPT FOR A LADY HITTING HIS RITE HAND SIDE THROTTLE AND BREAKING IT. NOW HE JUST PULLS UP ON THE WHOLE CABLE ABOVE THE "CARBE" AS THE SAY IN AU OR UK. HE DID NOT SAY IF HE WAS INJURED. HE SAID HE DIDN`T KNOW WHERE THE H**L SHE CAME FROM TO HIT HIM ON THE RITE SIDE. THAT ALL I KNOW OF MB ACCIDENTS !! LATER RON:ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

first bike i tried to ride in forty years or more threw me into a house on the first ten feet. Scraped a knee banged a shoulder just missed my head... Later a bike with a bunch of batteries turned over while I was trying to mount it. Tossed me around and scraped me up/

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada

I was cruising along a local dirt road when I noticed a patch of loose gravel ahead . I slowed down but not enough . My front wheel dug right in and went slightly left . I was propelled straight over the bars . Deja Vu . I had done this once before on a dirt bike and my left knee , where the bike landed on top of me , was tender for years . In this case I did a perfect tuck and roll and ended up landing on both feet . I knew I was going to land it perfectly in mid roll and put both arms out and yelled OOPAH . The only problem was that I was in the middle of nowhere and nobody saw it . The bike spilled a little gas and the clutch lever was a little bent but it fired right up . I giggled all the way Home ..... D.J.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

I wiped out twice. The first time was on the track. After the straightway going into a right hairpin turn and the rear tire blew out. The next day I couldn't walk so I went to the ER and only had a deep bone bruise on the knee and I had to use a cane for a few days. The bike suffered a blown out tire and a shaved pedal.
The second time was on a windy road. Went into a turn too fast and hit a freshly graveled spot. The front end washed out and all I suffered was some minor road rash. We ended up still riding 50 miles after the incident. Nothing happened to the bike.
Best thing for road rash is Mederma Scar creme. It's been 3 weeks and the scars are almost gone.

greenevegiebeast

Jul 4, 2008
BRYAN COLLEGE STATION TX

injured riding not yet, injured building. yes whitch time.
1. 4.5 inch grinder med grit flaper wheel, my fingers get the picture.

2. welder, hot metal my foot(likr a fool I was wearing sandels.

3 testing the fit of "OVERKILL" getting off my left leg scraped the spindel extension to the drag link, thitch i have not ground down yet.

I think thats all so far. bth "OVERKILL" should be terizing the peds by the end of the week.(^)(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Lets not count building. Far too many injuries to count. The worst were burns from hot weed eater mufflers. That left scars big time.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

2. welder, hot metal my foot(likr a fool I was wearing sandels.

Been there, done that. (welding on a new muffler and cat for my old truck) Except I wasn't wearing sandals. I was wearing shoes, and the flying slag burnt through my shoe and landed on top of my foot. It's bad when it's stuck there...you can't get that shoe off fast enough.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

The Deaf Driver of Death smacked me hard on the side with his full size green Ford old style heavy metal pickup truck.
I got a bruise on the side of my leg.
It was a ya ya.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

I was riding along Broadway just before it goes over the I10 and the road narrows and speeds are ramping up for the Phoenix freeway. I am speeding up as the guy ahead is turning and I see no obstruction, the idiot slams on his breaks, so I slam on my breaks to avoid an almost certain rear end collision. My brakes worked well enought to avoid the collision into his car and to launch me over the handle bars.

Now I have raced bicycles and when I raced I expected a crash once or twice a year, kinda like that hurdler that clipped a hurdle and lost her race yesterday. She said she hits one or 2 per year, just why in her biggest race ever. At 56 I did not get over the crash as quickly as I used to but I did crash in such a way so as not to hurt myself worse than necessary. I did a sommersault over the bars and landed on my back, did not hit my head. I would have rolled but for the bike with motor still running that landed on top of me. I still cannot believe I did not break a rib or something out of this one.

I never had a person slam on his brakes for no reason before so I will just have to start giving more room to viscious drivers, looking to hurt others. Can you imagine riding in a pace line and the guy does this? The driver left and did not stop to help me.

I almost commuted again for the first time in a month or so, since the crash, but could not face 107 degrees at 4:30 pm commute time. I do love to ride so will be back at it any day now. Bikeguy Joe, you gotta get some of this action. Speed up at every turn, don't maintain the brakes for a few months or just go tailgate somebody and see what you are missing.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

One of my bikes was an unusualy hard build, this bike fought me every step of the way, all kinds of learning experiences with this one. I finally got the thing together and rolled her out to the street for her initial startup, got her up to speed and popped the clutch and she fired on about the third or fourth try. As she started to go the left hand grip came off in my hand, I no longer install grips with spit. My left hand went straight up into the air and I was doing my best impersonation if a bronk rider. It is very hard to roll off of the throttle when your off balance and riding one handed so the thing is surging on me as I'm trying to get her under controle. I was able to steer her into the neighbors yard and crash land in the grass, I tore some nice sized chunks of sod up and got several bumps and bruises but after walking it off went for it again. This time with the grip firmly afixed the bike fired up right away and was running like a champ. I have an industrial park near me that I use for a testing grounds and will run a three mile loop after the initial startup. Well at the furthest point from my house on this loop the chain falls off at 20-25mph and jams between the sprocket and frame locking the rear wheel up. I made one heck of a skid mark and the one on the road was impresive too but kept her upright. Hauled the thing home in the back of my truck after a nice relaxing walk home and let her sit for close to a month before I even looked at her again. I eventually sold her and the new owner who lives on a gravel road lost it in the loose stones and busted her up. She is now back in my garage awaiting repair which isn't going to happen until the guy ponies up some cash first. This bike is a very dark red and I'm convinced is posessed, I now call her Christine...Kelly

turbo/chaos

Jul 22, 2008
college station tx
www.myspace.com

i have a baseball size chunk missing from my shin do to a student in a suv ran me off the road came in to the bike lane and i was doing 35 and skipped for like 2 1/2 cars down the road got right back up and he hauled on out

check it out of what happend oh yeah i wlaked home and the dr said i missing done matter from my shin

MySpaceTV Videos: crash and burn on motorized bicycle by Gaijin MB Productions

and this is me being slow

MySpaceTV Videos: motorized bicycle by Gaijin MB Productions

keep in mind i was clocked by a racer with the motor off going down hill doing 50mph

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona

I got injured when I overshot reaching for the choke lever (on a Whizzer it's next to the very hot cylinder head) burned the bejeesus outta my bird finger.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas

Didn't happen to me but I was there, we were riding bicycles @ about 13 years old and one night we were in a neighborhood unknown to us and one of my buddys rode into a man hole someone had removed the cover from. Bruised him up a bit and really tore the springer on the stingray up. We got home and told our parents and went back to show them where it happened and the man hole cover had been replaced! Go figure? :crash: