How comfortable is your 'shop' ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by KCvale, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Come on down to Texas and we'll get out in the 105 heat in the shade.......
    Getting rain tonight and much cooler.......... really enjoying it , to bad im at work until 6am
    Outside work is a bit rough around here this time of year........

2. Huffydavidson

Huffydavidson STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

Pretty darn comfortable . well lets see its got a workbench rollway toolbox a desk a stove and sink fridgerator a rock away the side table a recliner of bed a big screen TV a fan another bike for gas bike because it tools food and I live in it .oh and I forgot the trailer .its my motorized bicycle Kave. Hur Hur.And when Cindy comes on the weekends it duals as my "love palace".

3. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Dang-it..... what more could a man want........!

If you had a pool table and an indoor gun range it would be totaly complete.....lol!dance1

4. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

It is amazing how much stuff accumulates when you build a lot of bikes.
    My poor old plywood work bench has taken a lot of abuse considering I have had it for like 10 years and it was scrap to begin with.

Anyway buddy Cole, a well known pack rat that has worked some here and knew the bench condition, found this for free and brought it by.

[​IMG]

Nice 3/4" 10' counter, nice meaning sturdy and hard surface not looks ;-}

Now I just have to get the motivation to move everything, and I mean everything including all the shelves and that bookcase, to another area and then after getting the bench in rebuild storage around it again.

[​IMG]

On the bright side I'll most likely find some lost treasures and can get things organized again.

5. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

Yeah, I hear you KC... my workbench is much the same... "I know I've got that part here somehwere..... Hey, I was looking for this last month...."

A couple of shots of my workbench/garage as it is now (the last pic shows how my garage looked before the landlord fixed the roof):

Attached Files:

6. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

Looks like you got it stocked pretty full CT, nice ;-}

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Santa Cruz Scooter Works

I've raced for Pipelyne during the Goped days and any projects I work on is done there. I have my own work space and have access to all his machines. Plus I get to hang out with Dean and sneak a free lunch out of him. ;)

8. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

There's a lot of 'junk' but at least it's all vaguely-sorted.. I can find most things anyway. Eventually. ;) Thank whomever for open rafters, though. If I couldn't hang the rims and tires from above I'd be up to my eyes in them.

Went out for a roll of ordinary solder today, of course there wasn't any in stock. However, a hose reel with 50' of 300 psi rated 3/8" air hose happened to be on sale (at $20, I couldn't say no) (^). Spent a little time making space for it on the wall above the compressor and putting it in. Now I have 100' of air hose neatly rolled up and no longer trapping ankles. Of course, now my 'security system' is compromised. ;)

#108 CTripps, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  9. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Clutter Clutter Clutter..........!

one of 5 rooms in a old house that is on my property, I currently use it as workshop/storage, this is second smallest room that I keep some of my bikes in, tools here and in two other rooms including Smithy lathe/Milling machine combo in one that is a bit less cluttered but still a pain to get around in and work.

new shop Im building will be so nice, gonna have many shelves, a small loft and big nice work bench........ then I can get down to some serious bike work I'm hoping, gonna have good wood heater and at least two a/c units so I can work year around if I want and not burn up in the hot summer or freeze in the winter...LOL!

gonna be so nice compared to what I have now.

Attached Files:

10. KenX

KenX New Member

Don't be surprised if I stop by and see you a little on this year. I do like the desert.

11. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

I'll put on a nice BBQ, the grill is right outside my shop door ;-}

12. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 New Member

At least you guys have roofs over your heads! My shop is my overly sunny and sweltering back porch with picnic table. lol Parts and stuff get stored in my room in various boxes and my tool box.
    Granted, I'm 18 and only have one bike, so I guess it comes with the territory, eh? ;)

13. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Hey, thay aint nothing wrong with that D-Dude94, done lots of that myself and still do it, if we lived in a more moderate climate it wouldnt be as bad this time of year but then again we can work outside in the winter months without it being to bad most of the time too so I guess we have it pretty good actually.

Does my heart good to see an 18 year old diving into doing something with his hands and mind instead of rap crap and video games 24/7 like so many do now days, some day when all this computer technology comes crashing down people better know how to do more than just push a button or flip a switch.

Hang in there and work hard and stay focused on the important things in life and one day you can have a great workshop to work out of and hopefully have a chance to pass this great hobby down to others.

Map :bike2:

14. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 New Member

Yeah. I play video games too, but I also work outside in the yard a LOT. lol Work on my daily driver occasionally, work on my project truck when funds allow, and work on my other bikes as well. Too many hobbies! lol

And I dunno where you live, but in East Texas it can get pretty cold during the winter! lol

15. Moto

Moto Member

My shop / garage used to be quite a disaster but its improved significantly over the past few months. My mom built me / herself this awesome workbench which has really helped things out. Here are her original plans:
    [​IMG]
    The longer and skinnier side is mine while she uses the shorter and wider side for woodworking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    parts organization...
    [​IMG]

its a super awesome shop to work in but could use a few more stools (im looking on the list of craig) It pretty much stays at a steady 66° F year round according to my motorized bicycle temp gauge.

16. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

Nice shop, I really like 3 triple bike racks too.
    What is that huge metal looking thing to the left of the car?

17. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 New Member

Looks like electrical/ HVAC stuff to me...

18. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's a boiler.

19. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

Pretty much until you get your own territory, or is that yours?
    At 18 these days it's 50/50 you still live with the folks.

I like working outdoors for some things like engine prep when the weather is nice which is over half the year, just not right now however.
    I also like to have the door open for the fresh air when I'd rather be indoors and I have just the door for it, an 8' wide sliding glass door.

This shot is from my work bench.

[​IMG]

That big red blog out back behind the BBQ used to be the umbrella for that round table on the far left, I didn't put it down last night and a storm snapped it in two which is a real bummer in summer.

Anyway if you can't find or make room indoors at least you have pretty good weather and a picnic table to work on and that sure beats just using the driveway ;-}

20. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 New Member

Still live with my folks, yep. We would have never had any work area anyway as my mom would have cluttered it up! I can't even have a shelf for my autocare stuff without my mom complaining about how much space it takes up. :mad: