Houghmade details, work in progress

GoldenMotor.com

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Here are some pics- it's still needs paint, but it's coming.

First, a couple of overall shots- the bike does not have that fender anymore- it has a rear leaf/fender shown later. Also, the tank is back in primer and i have added the headlight/speedo housing shown later.

Next, pics of the front and rear "leaf springs"- I have a springer front, but not using the leaves- these are just for looks and are my fenders.

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Here is the headlight/speedo housing- it is an old railroad lantern. The speedo is a standard bike speedo, but I scanned in the face, then made my own custom face on the 'puter and laminated it.

Next is my "oil" pump- motorcycles in the teens had "total loss" oiling systems that required the rider to pump oil into the engine every so often- Mine is a chrome frame pump with a plunger screwed on to look like a pump and copper attached at the end to just hold it in place and look like there is an oil line into the engine. It goes nowhere. It is mounted with a rifle scope mount- got it on clearance at the big "W".

In the last pic, you can also see that I reversed the in/out control on the Grubee gearbox so that it is always in unless I pull the handle- rather than always out and only in if you pull the handle (that makes no sense). I have not touched the handle since.

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Finally, the "HoughMade Cycle Works" logo I have designed- it will be on the tank. I have both a left and right side logo designed- this is the left.

As for paint- it's between a dark red (IH red or a little darker) and light, early Harley gray.

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Thought I'd throw this in, pics of my "road kit" in a tool roll from Harbor Freight.

From left to right:

1) 10 feet of rope- you never know when you will have to suspend either end of your bike in the air

2) Electrical tape- to make it easier to travel, it is wrapped on a 1" wide piece of aluminum- 10 to 12 feet, very compact

3) Zip ties- long ones, you can make a long one short, doesn't work the other way.

4) Tire gauge, tube patches and valve tool.

5) Tire removal tools.

6) Small slip joint pliers.

7) Small vise grips (any number of uses).

8) Cresent wrench.

9) through 13) Combination wrenches (more sizes, less space), 14-15, 9/16-5/8, 12-13, 10-11, 8-9

Second row- on the belt, not in the roll:

14) Leatherman- don't get a cheap imitation. They are well worth the price and work well. A cheap one will convince you combination tools are worthless. They are not, but the cheap ones are.

15) Cell phone

Then you can see where the roll goes- attached with three mini bungees.

BTW- in the hollow area at the back of the "tank", a spare tube will be concealed in there.

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey bushido, welcome to the forum. We have lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. Do you have a motorized bike or do you have one in progress? Glad you joined us.....................

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
The light is a good idea- but I will not ride at night. Nonetheless, you are right. If I go out in the afternoon- unexpected circumstances could make things last longer than I thought.

I have a Honda GXH50 4 stroke engine with a Grubee Skyhawk II gearbox- loving it.

[edit]

Hey, wait a minute. I just remembered I have a LED flashlight built into my cell phone....no wait, I knew that....had it covered from the beginning. ;)

Last edited:
Hey bushido, welcome to the forum. We have lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. Do you have a motorized bike or do you have one in progress? Glad you joined us.....................
Thanks! Theres a lot of great info here and everyone is so eager to share their knowledge, excellent community. I'm here to sponge up some information before I decide what engine to put into my newly acquired Schwinn Jaguar.

The Honda GXH50 and grubee gearbox are at the top of my list, so it's good to hear that you like that setup. How many miles do you have on your bike? did you own a 2 stroke happy time before you went with the honda? i'm wondering how they compare... The bike looks great BTW! any pics of the motor side?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
How many miles? I don't know over 100, under 200- I did quite a few before I mounted the speedo/odo.

No- i did not have a 2 stroke, this is my first MB.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i love that bike! i wonder if it falls within the Steampunk category?

that leafspring business is particularly cool. and i like the way you handled getting the seat further back. i could go on, but suffice it to say that that is a unique and impressive creation!

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Thank you- This is why it has taken me so long...that and raising 4 kids and having a somewhat demanding career.

I just took hints from other motorbikers and spent a good deal of time Google Imaging old, very old, motorcycles.

At least now I am getting time to ride....I hate to think of taking it apart to paint, but I have a lot of bare steel and the humid summer is here.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
OK- the engine is about ready to go.

This a Honda GXH50. The engine cover was wet sanded smooth with 400 grit, primed, and wet sanded again- probably 5 or 6 times- to remove the grain. It was then painted with metallic paint. The starter cover was painted with charcoal texture paint to look like cast iron.

The engine size, 2 9/10 cubic inches, is accurate at 49.4 ccs, On the side in small print is "49 2/5 cc". The engine power of 2 hp is not quite accurate as the engine is actually 2.5 hp.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HOUGHMADE, WHAT A BIKE!! DID I SAY "WHAT A BIKE"!!?? AWSUM (^) I HAD A 1936 HARLEY 80 CI FLATHEAD WITH THE NO RECOVERY OIL SYSTEM. THE PUMP WAS BUILT INTO THE GAS TANK. THE OIL LINES HAD TO HAVE THAT LOOP IN THEM TO ABSORB THE VIBRATIONS. THEY STILL CRACKED AT THE NUT A LOT. THATS A ONE OF A KIND BUILD!:) CAN I BORROW IT FOR JUST A FEW MONTHS?? THAT IS A MAN`S MACHINE. I DOWN LOADED ALL YOUR PIC`S INTO MY MB FOLDER. I HOPE YOU DON`T MIND. THANKS FOR SHARING. RON :ride2:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have painted everything the final color- "Ford Gray", that is, Ford tractor gray.

Here is a pic of the tank- it is a little lo-def, so the stripes don't quite look right, but in real life they are straight. I will post better pics when it is back together.

Also, there is now another accent stripe under the main logo.

Attachments

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
thanks for the updates, Houghmade! i like what you did with engine. that looks way better than stock, IMH.

what sort of tools are you using to make those springer fenders and such?

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
The tools are a MAP gas torch, a couple of hammers, channel locks, vise grips, a bench vise and a Dremel. The metal joinery is all brazed with the MAP torch.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
interesting! thanks for the quick reply.

i've been wondering if those little MAPP torches really get hot enough for brazing. i've seen tiny fire brick forges that used MAPP to get smaller pieces of metal hot to work.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
MAPP works, but if I am thinking of buying an O2/MAPP setup. It takes a lot of heating to get it warm enough to braze. With thicker metal or larger pieces that that draw the heat off, it can be pretty tough to get it up to temp.