HONDA GXH50 or Mitsubishi TLE43

GoldenMotor.com

TinMan

Jul 23, 2008
Cleveland Ohio area
Ok so im down to these two motors for my trike. Can you guys give me your opinions on both of them. Of coarse one is a 2 stroke and one is a 4 stroke. I am mostly concerned with how good each will hold up. How loud they are compared to each other. Anything else that I might find usefull in making my decission is also appreciated.

The mounting of the 2 stroke gives me a better look but is the 4 stroke worth the trade off? This is my issue. Both will work just fine so just give me the pro's and cons of each and maybee it will help me decide. Thanks.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a Mitsubishi 2.2hp engine with tuned pipe on my Raleigh girlie cruiser. I like the engine for its quality, smaller size, lighter weight, high rpm potential and parts availability. Some gopeds use the Mits or its clone, so you have some high performance options there.

The Honda is just as well built with quality as the Mits. However, it's much heavier and takes a special adaptor($) to connect to standard 76mm clutches. There are much less high-performance options available.

jg767

May 28, 2008
What are the advantages of the tuned pipe? Is it louder or quieter than stock? Where could I find one?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have a Mitsubishi 2.2hp engine with tuned pipe on my Raleigh girlie cruiser. I like the engine for its quality, smaller size, lighter weight, high rpm potential and parts availability. Some gopeds use the Mits or its clone, so you have some high performance options there.

The Honda is just as well built with quality as the Mits. However, it's much heavier and takes a special adaptor($) to connect to standard 76mm clutches. There are much less high-performance options available.
I have a Honda GXH50 with the governor disabled. I would agree with the above assessment. The Honda weighs about 12 pounds alone. It is very smooth and quiet with the stock intake and exhaust...neither of which I have. It won't make as much power as a high quality 2 stroke (better than a suspect quality 2 stroke). However, it makes really good torque and is "powerful enough"...it powers my 220# rear to about 40 mph and cruises at a very easy 25 to 30 mph.

Depends on what you want- smooth and easy or pure power. Both are very high quality.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
What are the advantages of the tuned pipe? Is it louder or quieter than stock? Where could I find one?
fd320 - ADA Series 1 Chrome Pipe Kit (backorder)

fd78x - DDM Dominator Pipe Silencer

fd880 - TS Exhaust Manifold for GP460/G62 Engines (backorder)

With the silencer installed, the pipe is quieter than stock. The front engine on my cruiser bike "Mr. Hyde" is stock muffled 2.2hp Mits. The rear engine is 2.2hp Mits with tuned pipe. With both engines idling, I can tell the difference.

Last edited:

hondabicycle

Aug 14, 2011
Greeley, CO
I have a Honda GXH50 with the governor disabled. I would agree with the above assessment. The Honda weighs about 12 pounds alone. It is very smooth and quiet with the stock intake and exhaust...neither of which I have. It won't make as much power as a high quality 2 stroke (better than a suspect quality 2 stroke). However, it makes really good torque and is "powerful enough"...it powers my 220# rear to about 40 mph and cruises at a very easy 25 to 30 mph.

Depends on what you want- smooth and easy or pure power. Both are very high quality.
Hello HoughMade,
Im putting a Honda Elite CH80 carb on my Honda GXH50. I seen you said you have modified intake and am looking to modify mine to a slant if I cant fit it streight.
Do you have any resources to locate the parts for a custom manifold?
Thanks Either way.wee.