Hi! Newbie question on 48cc Kits

GoldenMotor.com

r30kansai

Oct 30, 2008
Newcastle, Australia
G'day,

I'm pretty interested on getting a 48cc engine kit for a bit of a project build.

Just wondering what you think of these kits, I am in Australia and these guys seem to be the best around, other than getting one on ebay.

MOTORISED BICYCLE ENGINE KIT ZBOX BIKE MOTOR AUSTRALIA 48cc MOPED - AUD$235

Those of you that are Aussies what are your experiences with these?

Those who aren't do they look alright?

Cheers
Paddy

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have not heard any thing bad from the brothers down under about Zbox. But I could not say from experience. Does look like the standard ChinaGurl but that means lil, if ain't not nutton. They all look the same. I try not to agonize over small purchases with large potential. The ChinaGurls are a lot alike. Here and most especially what you want to know is if ZBOX will back you up. Customer support and refund/exchange if it is bad. Not to say thats a worrie, but happens some times. I vote go for it and build some thing kewl!

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Yup, Warren is great guy. I got 2 of my Z80 engines from ZBOX. My first engine got burned... :-( It was probably the intake gasket leak that caused the engine to run too lean, and probably too much synthetic oil. Mineral oil is still best. My second engine got a gaping hole from a cast bubble found near the exhaust. The hole did not go through the cylinder, so I just cold weld it. Also the engine mounting bolts and the spark plug got bent during the transport. I just replaced the bolts with stainless ones, and bought a new spark plug. Try to get the angled head. I heard it's more durable than the standard ones. He does'nt have it on his website but you can ask him about it. But it's a little bit more expensive than the standard engine. Be gentle during break in period, which is about 5 full tanks. Remember to replace the intake gasket with a good one and try to cut it in shape so the gasket covers all the gap between the engine and the intake manifold. Also, a rubber O-ring would be good to seal the intake and the carburetor. I still plan to change to a pocket bike engine once I get the engine mounts work out, and the budget to get it... :)

Attachments

Merlin

Sep 17, 2008
I've been having a great run with my Zbox. I was amazed when I put it on my bike [and I'm no mechanic] and it started first go. And it still starts first go. I've got about 600km on it now.