Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Great to hear from you, Pete. The Saab is an absolute beauty and nicely accessorized with a motorized bicycle. Could someone ask for more? Good to hear you have riding time in and the weather has been decent.

Looking forward to seeing the belt drive as well. Once they are built then the improvements start because are they ever really finished?

Steve.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Zero building happening here....but the dry spell we've experienced these last couple of weeks has seen me enjoy more riding than I've managed during the entire last couple of years. Thanks to the single bike carrier I've fitted to the Saab 96, I've been able to enjoy some fantastic e-bike rides throughout rural Northumberland and the Borders. Clocked-up over 1500 trouble-free miles in the 96 during the last 5 weeks of using her as a daily driver. Shot these pics last week, using Alnwick Castle as a backdrop, after I returned home from a cycling trip to the Ford & Etal Estate at Cornhill-on-Tweed. Hoping to factor-in some time soon to swap out my little red Indian tribute's chain drive for the belt drive I've had stashed here. Some classic car shows coming up and I'd love to turn up in the 96 hauling the little Indian tribute.

View attachment 113693 View attachment 113694 View attachment 113695
My uncle had the same setup but with a Rupp mini bike on the back he used to ride the trails after he parked it... I wish he was still alive to put you 2 together... You're name isn't Ralph is it ?

Reactions: PeteMcP

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Nice rig Pete, you've been under the radar for a bit. Have you rid yourself of covid linger?.

Two weeks ago Mona, doing Granny Nanny duty brought home the Flu from the germ bag grandchildren.
she obligingly passed it to me. Since the covid masking thing I hadn't even had a Bloody cold.

Your photos taken on a sunny day. Is that a trend in NE Britian? We are getting smoked out by wild fires in Alberta Canada. Not stink but almost like fog on a 90F day.
Thanks for the splendid photos Pete. I had been wondering what had become of you. Cycling.

Tom

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Nice rig Pete, you've been under the radar for a bit. Have you rid yourself of covid linger?.

Two weeks ago Mona, doing Granny Nanny duty brought home the Flu from the germ bag grandchildren.
she obligingly passed it to me. Since the covid masking thing I hadn't even had a Bloody cold.

Your photos taken on a sunny day. Is that a trend in NE Britian? We are getting smoked out by wild fires in Alberta Canada. Not stink but almost like fog on a 90F day.
Thanks for the splendid photos Pete. I had been wondering what had become of you. Cycling.

Tom
Thanks for the Mona update Tom. Took a while, but the long covid symptoms I suffered with eventually vanished. Hope your family get over the dreaded flu and you and Mona get back to firing on all cylinders. Thankfully wildfires are not something I've ever had to contend with....

Weather here in NE UK is presently warm and dry. Not hot - the warmest day we've had so far this year is a measly 20 degrees C. And even then it's hard to get two consecutive days of clear skies. Too much cloud, and being this close to the North Sea coast means we often get a daily har - a mist-like covering that often lingers till mid afternoon before it burns off and we get to see proper sunshine. Yesterday was sunny and clear, but today it's set to be cloudy and 12 degrees all day. Chilly actually, so back to wearing a sweater today. Dry though. We haven't seen any rain for almost three weeks. So that's enabled the cycling I've been getting in at every opportunity.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Great to hear that the Covid has finally let go, Pete. Tom, the little germ factories are constant;y handing out the latest illnesses and the old ones as well.

Canada has over 200 forest fires raging at the moment from coast to coast and over 2,000 people fighting them including the military. Countless buildings have been lost but so far no lives, though I haven't checked the news yet today. We are still sunny and warm and I have just about have the garage cleaned up and I'm working on the bikes again.

Steve.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Finally had the opportunity to show my little INDIAN tribute at a local classic car show held here in town last weekend at the Aln Valley preserved railway. Bike went down a storm, and it made a great combo strapped to the Saab's bike hauler. Vast majority of folks, even the bikers there, had no idea it wasn't a genuine restored bike which surprised me. Must have explained a hundred times what it was and I reckon more than a few left the show with the germ of an idea to build something similar. Been asked to show the Saab and 'Indian' combo at next weekend's VINTAGE MACHINES gig, a fly/drive/ride-in show at Eshott Airfield just a few miles down the A1 from Alnwick. Hopefully there'll be a few vintage aircraft to drool over while I'm there. Here's a shot - again using Alnwick Castle as a backdrop - showing what I think is a great little combo.

Bad news time....my brother-in-law Keith sadly lost his battle with cancer almost two weeks ago and it's his funeral on June 26th. Really feeling for Jen's sis Sheila who has lost her sister and husband in so short a space of time...

DSCN4205 (2).JPG
DSCN4209 (2).JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Pete sorry for your family loss.

Great combo to show together and understand how difficult it is to explain these vintage style bikes to others....

Wonderful to hear from you andlearn that shows etc are being attended there after so much enforced shutdown.

Rick C

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Great combo to show together and understand how difficult it is to explain these vintage style bikes to others....

Rick C
You're correct Rick. Even after explaining EVERYTHING on the bike is either new. repop or faked, they still pipe up with "so what year's the tank...frame...vintage engine from"...?! And I lost count of the Harley/Beemer/Triumph guys with £10-20K bikes parked up next to me who were curling their lip at the all day crowd snapping pics of the 'little Indian'. One guy even asked if I would take £2.5K for it...which I refused. Not cause it isn't worth it. It's just I'm just sentimentally attached to it 'cause it was my first m/b build. Would feel like selling one of my kids, if I'd had any.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You're correct Rick. Even after explaining EVERYTHING on the bike is either new. repop or faked, they still pipe up with "so what year's the tank...frame...vintage engine from"...?! And I lost count of the Harley/Beemer/Triumph guys with £10-20K bikes parked up next to me who were curling their lip at the all day crowd snapping pics of the 'little Indian'. One guy even asked if I would take £2.5K for it...which I refused.

Not cause it isn't worth it. It's just I'm just sentimentally attached to it 'cause it was my first m/b build. Would feel like selling one of my kids, if I'd had any.
Pete nice one off, vintage style builds just have a huge advantage over the huge mass produced machines and full size custom motor cycles when it comes to attracting attention at shows and rally stops or just daily rides. Even if your not a showoff your bike & car combination are!

Carry on with a smile....

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law passing, Pete. My condolences to both yourself and Jen's sister. Two losses for both of you in a year.

The car and bike are a wonderful combination and separately. The Indian does look like an original even to the trained eye. Anyone can go out and lash out the cash to buy a bike and load it up with chrome but it takes someone willing to step outside the normal and handcraft their own. People recognize that fact and admire what you have done.

Steve.