Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Not sure if it's going to be the right one until I get it in hand but... 850÷8 is about 100# per leaf... Cut it in half will make it 1700 per 8 then with heat I can take the temper out of it to weaken it back to 800 and drill some holes in the 2-3-4-5-6-7 to bring it down to 400 and loose the bottom helper for about 300... Bees wax so they don't squeak and if I mess up I'll have the other half to play with... To temper it back it's heat and dunk in oil and again in water... But I'll have to narrow it down 2" for 2.125 wheels and hubs... And figure out how to mount a 40's hood ornament on it... And change my mind 100 times before it even gets in my hands ;)

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
What is your given name "Mossy"?
Amongst the builders a first name is a basis by which we maintain connection.
Your metallurgical spring tempering spec.'s are interesting.
Your fabrication skills are unquestionable.
Tom
I haven't built anything on here yet just theroy... I worked at a spring shop that's been in business making springs since 1800's... I've worked on small stuff to machines so big they have to be taken apart to transport over the road there... The spring steel gets heated in furnace the spring eyes are made and back in the furnace dunked in oil a few times then water and then hammered to make the arch... Springs don't break under load they break when there light from vibration so by taking off some of the temper it weakens the strength with some holes to help weaken it more so it's loaded and won't chatter causing it to break... Or I can put a 500# weight on it to give it load... 8 leafs 1 3/4" thick should be thin enough to work with... Say you have a 8' long pipe made of conduit... Easily bent compared to a 2' piece with 4x less leverage... If my posts are questionable stupid crazy people talk ??? Ask a spring shop that makes springs or a black smith with experience... ;) mossy was my grandfather name... ' you can walk on it because it's soft... But you have to peel it up to get under it'

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
.. And figure out how to mount a 40's hood ornament on it... And change my mind 100 times before it even gets in my hands ;)
Plenty of those re-pop chrome hood ornaments on the Bay. Found this genuine 'Flying Goddess' hood ornament (radiator mascot in UK-speak) on UK eBay and knew it would be perfect for my Aero Cycle Car build. UK£12 was the winning bid. A two-piece casting, it was in pretty ropey shape as found, but after a good clean-up I had it professionally chrome painted along with the car's grp radiator surround. Turned out spectacular I reckon.
FSCN3076.JPG
FSCN3425.JPG

Mossy

May 20, 2022
There's only one chromer in the US left and it's in El Paso Texas... 12 week wait... EPA has made it unprofitable... If anyone knows about a reputable place in Mexico I will appreciate it... I will probably link up with some low Riders and put some pieces in with an order... But have everything prepared plated in copper ready to go...

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
There's only one chromer in the US left and it's in El Paso Texas... 12 week wait... EPA has made it unprofitable... If anyone knows about a reputable place in Mexico I will appreciate it... I will probably link up with some low Riders and put some pieces in with an order... But have everything prepared plated in copper ready to go...
We have a chrome plating shop in Bethany, Ok and one in Tulsa too. One shop I know of in Houston still does cycle plating. I talked with two of these places this week. The other shop is not working because of a medical situation, but should be running very soon. 3 to 4 week turn around.

P.M.me for phone numbers if interested.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Woop! Woop! Woop! Look what arrived in today's mail from The Orient. The forks. Not the nosy cat!
Extremely well made forks. And not covered in rust like my last drop loop frame from AliExpress. Very impressed.
Can confirm steer tube is 1-1/8" threadless. Included three moulded bungs to blank off tube openings.
Looking forward to incorporating these on my next build.

DSCN4176 (2).JPG
DSCN4181 (2).JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Very nice Pete. I would suggest you entertain using those leg openings for two heavy wall tubes to mount motorcycle style handlebar clamps onto, rather than use a typical bicycle threadless style bar mount. Lend a beefy aspect to your builds front end. Finish off the hole in the steerer with a "star" nut and cap.

Rick C.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
1 1/8" fork to 1" conversion the last one is going the other way... I haven't done it before or done the measurements but basically should work with some careful opening up of the inside races and loose balls and there's a few ways to there

Attachments

Reactions: PeteMcP

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Zero building happening here....but the dry spell we've experienced these last couple of weeks has seen me enjoy more riding than I've managed during the entire last couple of years. Thanks to the single bike carrier I've fitted to the Saab 96, I've been able to enjoy some fantastic e-bike rides throughout rural Northumberland and the Borders. Clocked-up over 1500 trouble-free miles in the 96 during the last 5 weeks of using her as a daily driver. Shot these pics last week, using Alnwick Castle as a backdrop, after I returned home from a cycling trip to the Ford & Etal Estate at Cornhill-on-Tweed. Hoping to factor-in some time soon to swap out my little red Indian tribute's chain drive for the belt drive I've had stashed here. Some classic car shows coming up and I'd love to turn up in the 96 hauling the little Indian tribute.

DSCN4200 (2).JPG
DSCN4201 (2).JPG
DSCN4203 (3).JPG