Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Not sure who coined the phrase, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen", but thus coulda been why. :)

Here's some shots of one of my favorite local rides. Old Mill Rd on the northside of the San Bernardino Mtns.

DSCF0646 (Medium).JPG DSCF0649 (Medium).JPG DSCF0647 (Medium).JPG WP_000203.jpg

Of course the Big Daddy around here is Angeles Crest Hwy. 55 miles without an intersection to speak of at elev. up to 7900ft. I've done it with everything from painter vans to sportbikes. It's even a cool cruise in my 65 F250. No shifting required!

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for uploading the link Curt. Hope you guys enjoyed it.
That 13min 27sec ride is perfect coffee break viewing.
Especially impressed with the "grab the wheel babe while I wipe the oil mist off my visor" bit.!

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Both videos got me thinking. There must be more curves presented on this stretch of road than there are in the entire western half of the Indian Territory. We have a lot of contour but roads are laid out on (nominally) North & South grids & as straight as possible, which is quite straight as it turns out. The state highways have been flattened a great deal as well to eliminate the contour & that's a good reason to tour the secondary roads by bike.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Not sure who coined the phrase, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen", but thus coulda been why. :)

Here's some shots of one of my favorite local rides. Old Mill Rd on the northside of the San Bernardino Mtns.

View attachment 102830 View attachment 102831 View attachment 102832 View attachment 102833

Of course the Big Daddy around here is Angeles Crest Hwy. 55 miles without an intersection to speak of at elev. up to 7900ft. I've done it with everything from painter vans to sportbikes. It's even a cool cruise in my 65 F250. No shifting required!
Fog that's some beautiful country you've ridden as well.

If we have one more day forecast this Fall with light winds and mild temps I'd favor a ride south to the Wichita mountains National refuge. It's a 130 mile round trip that to fully experience on a bike would require a layover for the night. So two day weather window required. I think the mountain e-bike my choice for that adventure, but may have to wait for spring.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
HONDA SOLO's MAKEOVER PROGRESS PICS....
New, fatter tyres, small front fender, stainless exhaust, cafe bars with alloy risers, front/rear indicators, headlight, two tail/stop lamps, side-mount license plate, horn, left side hand shifter all fitted. Still running the original 50cc motor till I swap it out for my Lifan 125cc unit come springtime. Thing rides like a dream - and legally to boot!
Hope you folks enjoyed a Merry Christmas. Here's wishing everyone all the best for 2020.

DSCN3589.JPG

DSCN3587.JPG

DSCN3590.JPG
DSCN3591.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
HONDA SOLO's HAND SHIFTER INSTALLED & TANK PAINTING COMPLETED.
Conversion from foot to hand shift is what makes this bike such fun to ride. No clutch semi-auto - so easy.
Tank is now painted, with the addition of a polished alloy central trim strip. Finishes it off nicely.
Next job is to swap-out the original, much restricted carb for the carb on the Lifan 125 motor. I want to see if that'll give the 50cc Honda unit any more poke before carrying out the engine swap proper.
Having a bike in the living room as 'art' kinda works for me. Wife Jen gives me no argument - about the only upside to her dementia.

DSCN3594.JPG
DSCN3595.JPG
DSCN3596.JPG
DSCN3599.JPG

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks Tony.
Searching online prior to commencing my Solo build I found some pics showing Solos with faux downtubes added by Japanese customisers. I've attached a couple. Mod looks very easy to accomplish using a pair of bent tubes secured at the top in holes drilled behind the head tube and with the lower ends secured to the foot peg bolts under the engine case. Honda's Solo was discontinued following low sales volumes - but the Vietnamese 'Solowin' knock-off which followed later featured the addition of frame downtubes.
solo downtube.jpg
solo frame mod.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
MOTO GUZZI MOTOLEGGERA 65cc 'GUZZINO' progress update...
Work has resumed on my Guzzino. The seller knew next to nothing about this bike other than he'd taken it in part exchange. It came to me with a liberal coating of storage dust/grime, but after a thorough wipe down, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it scrubbed up. From the look of it, my take is it's an older, incompleted resto. Obviously hasn't seen the road since being repainted. Plan is to retain what little patina there is.
Motor has excellent compression and produces a strong spark.
Jobs carried out so far:
New tyres/tubes, Tank flushed - it's remarkably clean in there, Carb stripped/cleaned, Air filter installed, Fuel line and filter fitted, Font/rear drum brakes presently dismantled, cleaned and brake shoes sent off to Villiers Services for re-lining.
Bike arrived minus hand grips and throttle. Decided to fit a twist grip throttle rather than the original thumb lever type. New throttle and clutch cables fitted.
Have still to install the new wiring harness I purchased from Italy. The original exhaust is holed, but today I was lucky enough to have my 'best offer' accepted for a new old stock Guzzino exhaust muffler listed on UK eBay by a seller who didn't know precisely which bike it was intended for. A snip at 40 quid, less than a third of the advertised price for an exhaust I was just about to splash out on from an Italian retailer. And with 6 quid for UK postage compared to 34 quid for shipping from Italy, I feel luck was on my side for once.
Attached pics show progress on my Guzzino to date.

DSCN3605.JPG
DSCN3606.JPG
DSCN3607.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
And now for something different...
Never seen one of these. This '78 Sparta 40cc Dutch cyclemotor has been doing the rounds several times on UK eBay recently. First saw it listed by a UK bike retailer 3-4 months back. Keeps dropping off eBay with no bids - which is surprising given the obvious build quality. May be the lack of a V5 registration document is putting potential buyers off - but that's a relatively simple process to overcome.
Can't help but admire this Sparta's impressive, sturdy-looking, cast rear wheel. And its 40cc Sachs drive train looks very clean and tidy. All in all, what appears to be a well looked after and little used autocycle for under 500 quid. I reckon it's a bargain compared to many of the '50s-'60s Velosolex or Winged Wheel 'cyclemotor' rigs that regularly show up on eBay for more than twice the price - and are, more often than not, non-runners requiring sorting.

sparta.jpg