Hey i'm new (need some help)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by air250, Sep 23, 2011.

1. air250

air250 New Member

I am using a 3.5 hp B&S lawn mower motor that i had recently converted from a vertical shaft to a horizontal shaft. (which was not too bad) but i am now stuck on adding a clutch to the crank shaft so that the bike will b able to idle once i start it. Or maybe there in another way to make it idle ether way could any one help me with this problem. Thanks

2. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello air250, welcome to the forum

3. air250

air250 New Member

thanks im really liking it so far :D

4. msrfan

msrfan Well-Known Member

Hey air, Welcome. Does your Briggs have an aluminum flywheel? If it came off of a rotary mower, the blade acts as part of the flywheel effect, allowing for a smooth idle. You will need a cast iron flywheel if that's the case. Also, what carb are you using and did you disable the governor? Did you add a dipper to the rod for splash oiling? Would like to see photos of your bike as I've been putting Briggs motors on bikes for 25 years or so.

5. air250

air250 New Member

yes i added a dipper and rerouteing the oiling ports the fly wheel is the same. do you know where i can find a new one super cheep i didn't want want spend much on the build, the carb is stock its the one that is attached to the gas thank directly and the governor has been disabled i didn't know how to keep it and didn't really want to.

6. air250

air250 New Member

im at school now so cant send any pics but when i get home maybe