help! exhaust tip fell off.

GoldenMotor.com

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
my exhaust tip fell off while riding, i guess it wasnt on tight enough.
well im running the engine without it, much louder, doest have a ton of power and kinda sputters.
now i know engines need back pressure and all, so im having a replacement end cap made.

but is this hurting my engine at all?
or just making it run sloppy?

ive put a few miles on it without the exhaust end.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It shouldn't be hurting it. Just try to keep the full throttle runs to a minimum till you get it taken care of...mostly for your and others' ears sake.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey adam. that happed on my 1st build. What i did was put the baffel back into the exhaust and tack welding it on. This way it will never fall off again.
Yer i agree with jason its bloody loud ( more like a harley)
Good luck with it

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
haha yes it is like a harley.
i made a temporary "plate" thats doing fine for now, but i will get a new one welded on, thanks guys

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I pulled up to a harley and made the guy jump when i kicked it on ;) When its out it seems to run faster..But the sound is unbarable. I ended up sticking a hex wrench through it and bending both ends. All fine now lol

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
easy fix! just drill a hole or two and run a small bolt or heavy threaded screw through, then you can take it on and off when you need to. same thing happened to me

Hawaii_Ed

Feb 22, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Mine did the same thing right after I got the bike running. I ordered a new one pipe ($20 from gasbikes). Unfortunately the tip got hit by a car! My friend managed to pund it out and weld in in though. Is there ever a need to take the tip off? Not sure why it is not welded from the factory.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Mine did the same thing right after I got the bike running. I ordered a new one pipe ($20 from gasbikes). Unfortunately the tip got hit by a car! My friend managed to pund it out and weld in in though. Is there ever a need to take the tip off? Not sure why it is not welded from the factory.

After time there starts to become some sludge like build up. I took mine out after about 1000 miles and there was definitely some build up, but not near enough to hurt the engine. I will eventually build up enough to go through the expansion chamber i presume..

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
You might want to take the tip off to clean the carbon deposits from the exhaust if you run it often for short periods of time (engine never gets hot enough). In my case, i bought a longer bolt to attach the cap, put a spring on the inside around the bolt and i now use a brake cable to disengage the exhaust for extra power when necessary. When the spring is compressed with the cable the exhaust acts exactly as it did without any modifications (wouldn't want to wake the neighbors).

Hawaii_Ed

Feb 22, 2009
Honolulu, HI
You might want to take the tip off to clean the carbon deposits from the exhaust if you run it often for short periods of time (engine never gets hot enough). In my case, i bought a longer bolt to attach the cap, put a spring on the inside around the bolt and i now use a brake cable to disengage the exhaust for extra power when necessary. When the spring is compressed with the cable the exhaust acts exactly as it did without any modifications (wouldn't want to wake the neighbors).

Wow, that is some old school hot rod stuff! Love it!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
did anyone actually see the exhaust tip, I didn't, couldn't stop looking at the model sweet! I mean that in a respectful way.
Norman

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Well... Firstly, sorry to bring up an old post, but this has just happened to me, exhaust tip fell off, and noticed this response:

easy fix! just drill a hole or two and run a small bolt or heavy threaded screw through, then you can take it on and off when you need to. same thing happened to me
Can someone please elaborate a little more? Are you literally drilling a couple of screws into the exhaust pipe?

A diagram would help too...

Also, I'm wondering, if that is the case, how big is the section of the tip which slides into the exhaust? I'm thinking, if it does mean putting to screws in, I may as well put them through the tip when I get a replacement (if I can get one) to hold the tip on?

I read on one site that lots of people solder it on to make sure it never falls off.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I would recommend just adding a coupla tack welds (they're easy to grind/cut off if ya need to clean the pipe out later), solder may not hold up to the heat and vibration - if ya haven't access to a welder, ask at yer local auto repair/muffler shop... it'll only take a second so it'll not cost much if anything :)

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I'm just not sure what its called; thought soldering was what it was called where you connect two metal pieces together.

Tack welds... Is that like putting the two metal pieces together by welding together various points, generally leaving like this ball of weld in that area; don't quite know how to describe it. LOL

But mainly, was wondering about the idea people mentioned about putting screws in. Say I didn't get a new tip via my warranty, how effective are the screws at reducing the noise?
Let alone hold the tip on (if I do get one), with, or without the welds or soldering?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yep, jus' a coupla gobs of steel on the seam, two would fix it up fine. If you've lost the cap... TBH I dunno if it'd be worth the effort to fabricate something or even jus' trying to hold it together w/screws (if the bolt didn't stay - will a coupla screws?), the stock exhaust is not only kinda shoddy, but it's a performance killer - you may wish to upgrade to a proper expansion chamber exhaust *shrug* There's a buncha choices in all price ranges if ya look around...

If you are missing the end cap and jus' wanna cob it together so you can ride, there's been a coupla folks who've made an end cap w/a aluminum can, drilled out for the exhaust and hose clamped on - but usually with the bolted together mufflers, the baffles are attached to the end cap so you've prolly lost those too... it'd be a bit loud ;)

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Well, I'm not too fussed about performance per say; it works it works. It's attracting enough attention as it already is.

If I do manage to get a new tip, I will look into welding it, but if I can't, I'm guessing a couple of screws may help; will just need to check it to tighten if required.

But my main concern was, what the users meant by drilling a couple of screws. My guess is this is with regards to not having the tip, and using screws to emulate the tip of having the smaller hole at the end.