Hello from Chicago...got problems

GoldenMotor.com

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Been lurking around the forum for about a month now after I got my MB put together. Its a Skyhawk GT5 Angle fire, on a Huffy Karaoke. My problem is this. When the engine is cold it runs great. After about 10 minutes of riding my power gets cut in half. I have changed the spark plug to the other factory one that came in the kit gapped at .28, new plug wire/boot from autozone. Had a leaky seal on the mag side and replaced that with a new one. Thought it might be the carb (had the cns), so I put a new NT on it. Sealed the head and base gaskets with RTV, also on the intake to motor gasket and around the carb. I am stumped. Ive worked on my own and friends and familys cars for about 10 years, so I know a good deal about engines. This little thing has been driving me nuts for the entire time Ive had it semi-operational. BTW I have disconnected the kill switch and I does the same thing. Im lost and in search of an answer. Please help! :-||

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Chicago north side about a mile from lincolnwood, 1 block north of Northeastern University. Yeah I dont even need the choke. It did the same thing without the RTV. Thats why I put some on there in the first place, I though it was an air leak due to the metal expanding.

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Thanks for the offer. I dont want to take up anyones time like that anyway. Im sure its something stupid that Ill be able to fix. Didnt notice any oil coming out of there. Plus the clutch is grabing really nice so I dont think its bad. FYI in case this comes up I am not using the factory filter insert and am running an aftermarket inline filter from autozone. Gas cap venting is good as I have tried on many occations to pull it off and put I on again to have nothing change. Im leaning towards electrical at this point. Maybe bad mag?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
After you go for a ride and it bogs down, when you're close to home kill the motor and walk or pedal it the rest of the way. Let the motor cool off and then look at the plug. Whiteish? Oily dark? Nice chocolate? It may give you an indication of what is going on. Post the results and somebody smarter than me may have an idea of what is wrong indicated by the spark plug
SB.

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
I have done that a few times before. I have gotten between oily dark and medium brown. Havent done it with the new carb yet. I have an update though. Since I suspected the mag of being bad I replaced it and just came back from a ride. For one it takes longer for the problem to kick in. Yeah its still doing it. Although, second, its not as bad and I do have more power than before but its really 4 stroking when it happens and still have that power loss. I have the NT carb on now and running with the clip at the second notch. This is killing me. It runs so nice when cold then blah when it warms up.