Having trouble getting bike to remain on.

GoldenMotor.com

Courage559

Jul 12, 2022
Hello, I have an 80cc 2 stroke engine with a 36 sprocket adapter kit which I put on a beach cruiser and the other day when I was going home from work, all of a sudden a bunch of gas started to leak all over the engine. The bike was used so I decided to replace essentially everything new (I had another kit laying around). I didn't want to install the new engine if I can help it, since I don't believe this one is dead dead but ever since I put it together I've been having issues.

When I pedal and release clutch, it will start up but my throttle doesn't rev at all, and when I disengage the clutch (pull in the clutch lever) it just dies automatically.

I've done the following so far:

I've replaced the carb with a new one to fix the flooding issue

Switched out the clutch cable with a new one, it engages properly

The Throttle cable appears to be installed correctly, when I turn and let go it goes back into original position, but no rev. I've checked inside (removing the air filter) and saw that the pin does go up and down.

I replaced the CDI/spark plug with new ones, I wired it per the diagram the kit provided.

I'm stumped.
If I pedal it will remain on but no throttle response and if I pull clutch lever it will die

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Here’s a lot of trouble shooting info.

Courage559

Jul 12, 2022
You say you see the needle move in the carburetor, is the barrel moving as well?
The barrel is also moving, the idle screw also engages it. so I believe it's down enough in the carb.

I also put a new spark plug in it, it does spark as it does start, but it doesn't rev and when I pull the clutch trigger (To disengage the clutch) it dies, so it doesn't stay on for long. if I pedal it will stay on until speed causes it to die.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Try this, take the spark plug out and reconnect it to the cdi and lay it on the head, then roll the bike with the clutch out so the engine turns. Look for fire at the spark plug, it should fire at walking speed. Also notice if the plug is wet after you try to start it, that’s a sign of weak fire.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hello, I have an 80cc 2 stroke engine with a 36 sprocket adapter kit which I put on a beach cruiser and the other day when I was going home from work, all of a sudden a bunch of gas started to leak all over the engine. The bike was used so I decided to replace essentially everything new (I had another kit laying around). I didn't want to install the new engine if I can help it, since I don't believe this one is dead dead but ever since I put it together I've been having issues.

When I pedal and release clutch, it will start up but my throttle doesn't rev at all, and when I disengage the clutch (pull in the clutch lever) it just dies automatically.

I've done the following so far:

I've replaced the carb with a new one to fix the flooding issue

Switched out the clutch cable with a new one, it engages properly

The Throttle cable appears to be installed correctly, when I turn and let go it goes back into original position, but no rev. I've checked inside (removing the air filter) and saw that the pin does go up and down.

I replaced the CDI/spark plug with new ones, I wired it per the diagram the kit provided.

I'm stumped.
If I pedal it will remain on but no throttle response and if I pull clutch lever it will die
I think your initial flooding issue was simply a small piece of dirt in the carb float... That would've been a simple fix.
But now it seems that now you have multiple problems!

Follow Gregs advice until you get it running again.

Courage559

Jul 12, 2022
Try this, take the spark plug out and reconnect it to the cdi and lay it on the head, then roll the bike with the clutch out so the engine turns. Look for fire at the spark plug, it should fire at walking speed. Also notice if the plug is wet after you try to start it, that’s a sign of weak fire.
Was no spark.

Even took off the new CDI and put back the previous but it's no spark.

but the thing is this is a new engine now, not the old one.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Forgot about if it's new or old or any of that ... Just because you bought a new anything doesn't mean it's fixed the problem there low quality parts and I've had engines that just wouldn't run no matter what I did and others that ran that shouldn't have... Could be the fuel if 2 engines won't run or barely run... These motors are a constant work in progress... If you're putting it on the bike out of the box without cleaning and checking everything first is going to be frustrating... I take everything apart and reassemble before I do anything... Automotive plug wire and boot ngk br6-7 hs spark plug fat wire mag and the stronger magnet for starters on the CDI ... Jets from 65-75... Make sure the seals are installed right and have some lube on them... It's quite involved

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would try a new out of the box B6hs NGK gapped at .026, lay it on the head and see if it fires when you roll the bike.

Courage559

Jul 12, 2022
Sorry for late reply, was working.

So I tried pushing the bike around with the wires attached (blue to blue, black to black) still nothing.

I'm thinking of ordering a new Magneto kit and just replacing it, it comes with a CDI. I'll be trying more, but I have 2 jobs (1 I travel too, the second is work from home) so I've been working on this when I have the chance. I'm also poor atm so I can't order parts until at least tuesday. This includes getting a meter so I can test. This experience made me realize most of my tools were also stolen. :(