hard headed kids = trouble

GoldenMotor.com

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Where I work at night we have this boy working there and he rides one of those light weight trick bikes (BMX) no reflectors no lights and he usually dose not wear any reflective clothing.
We talk bikes a lot and I told him what the state and local law is but sense he did not buy the bike with the reflectors he thinks he dose not need them I have even printed up the laws for him to read but the kid is hardheaded.

The other night while driving home, in my car, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye
and there where 3 kids on bikes in dark clothing no reflectors racing down the wrong way of the street and the only thing you could see was a dirty white strip on the tennis shoes.
One of these kids are going to get killed and of course the local politicians will hear the out cry and mess it up for the rest of us legal bikers.
Any ideas on how to get through to these kids that think they are bullet proof other than making a complaint to the PD.

Cookie

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Some states you are not allowed to ride a bike at night without lights. They may eventually get stopped.
But man,even some pedal reflectors. Those BMX pedals those reflectors screw off.
Kids should know better. Sadly they won't know till they are behind the wheel themselves.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That sounds just like me when I was a kid.....you can tell them a million times and even tell the PD. They wont change until they want too, I am sure even if I got hit I would not change. They are at the age that nobody knows better then me kinda thinking. I think BGJ is right, thats what it took me...maybe more like 25 years I was a slow learner.

Heemlo

Nov 17, 2008
New Jersey
I ride a bmx bike around too (I'm 18). I used to have reflectors on my bike but anyways I got a ticket once because apparently the law in NJ is, to ride at night, you have to have a headlight and a tail light (not reflectors). So anyways I figured screw it lol and took the reflectors off, anything to help me not get seen and get another ticket lol I mean theres no way I'm adding lights + battery to my bike...

Also I ride on the left side of the road, it's better cause you can see the cars coming at you and make sure they don't hit you instead of riding on the right and just trusting they won't hit you.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Where I work at night we have this boy working there and he rides one of those light weight trick bikes (BMX) no reflectors no lights and he usually dose not wear any reflective clothing.
We talk bikes a lot and I told him what the state and local law is but sense he did not buy the bike with the reflectors he thinks he dose not need them I have even printed up the laws for him to read but the kid is hardheaded.

The other night while driving home, in my car, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye
and there where 3 kids on bikes in dark clothing no reflectors racing down the wrong way of the street and the only thing you could see was a dirty white strip on the tennis shoes.
One of these kids are going to get killed and of course the local politicians will hear the out cry and mess it up for the rest of us legal bikers.
Any ideas on how to get through to these kids that think they are bullet proof other than making a complaint to the PD.

Cookie

dance1 Stop worrying about it, & worry about your own lights & reflectors... .bf.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Any ideas on how to get through to these kids that think they are bullet proof other than making a complaint to the PD. Cookie[/QUOTE said:
I just read the last line of your post.....

You're going to complain to the police????? SERIOUSLY????????

How would you like it if someone said they were going to call the police about your noisy motorized bike???

Seriously, live & let live! stop worrying about the kid... dance1

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Cookie,
Although your concerns would not be appreciated by the kid that works with you, they are sound. I am older and I have a baby on the way. So experience and responsibility are teaching me prudence. Although the law requires us to do certain things, it doesn't necessarily mean that we will do them. Look at the speed limit. It is for safety and yet just about everyone does it at some time or another. It is up to the driver, or the rinder in this case, to follow the laws. You have warned him, it is up to him to change. Hopefully it's before he becomes part of the pavement.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I ride a bmx bike around too (I'm 18). I used to have reflectors on my bike but anyways I got a ticket once because apparently the law in NJ is, to ride at night, you have to have a headlight and a tail light (not reflectors). So anyways I figured screw it lol and took the reflectors off, anything to help me not get seen and get another ticket lol I mean theres no way I'm adding lights + battery to my bike...

Also I ride on the left side of the road, it's better cause you can see the cars coming at you and make sure they don't hit you instead of riding on the right and just trusting they won't hit you.
Do you drive? People riding bikes on the left side of the road is the most absurd thing ever. I don't know about everybody else here, but I hate it. Put your reflectors back on, get some lights or don't ride at night.

Heemlo

Nov 17, 2008
New Jersey
Do you drive? People riding bikes on the left side of the road is the most absurd thing ever. I don't know about everybody else here, but I hate it. Put your reflectors back on, get some lights or don't ride at night.
Whats the difference what side I ride on. On the right side I feel like I'm gonna get hit every time I hear a car comin up on me, while on the left I can see them and make sure they see me. My dad gave me the advice. And ya I drive sometimes.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Whats the difference what side I ride on. On the right side I feel like I'm gonna get hit every time I hear a car comin up on me, while on the left I can see them and make sure they see me. My dad gave me the advice. And ya I drive sometimes.
With reflectors on, a driver could see you even more which ever side you ride. Your dad didn't give you bad advice. But just remember, just because you can see someone, doesn't mean they see you. Imagine your ticket when you get caught without lights and reflectors. Thay could just take your bike and say it is unsafe to ride. Do what you want though.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well let's see, you are riding against traffic. it makes a difference.

Just think of what would happen if you drove a car on the left just so everybody else can see you. It's dangerous. Get some reflectors and lights like you are supposed to have, then EVERYBODY can see you, no matter which way you're going.