Harbor Freight Greyhound 79cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Way cool Ron, ty. Good to know he is a good guy. Looked at his store. He gonna get a lot of my cash. (dang-it! lol)

This bidding thing is kinda fun. If on rare occasion I buy some thing on ebay, I look for the "buy now" stuff.

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
BMI(Barhurst Manufacturing) is the company that makes the converter-trans Im sure he will sell you one. Question for some one when you remove the governer on a HF 2.5 is it internal or just external I removed one on a 5.5 HF vertical shaft which is the same as a honda 160v and it was internal they also recomended getting a heavier valve spring to accomodate for the gain in rpm it is a real simple job just dont know how many pound spring you need the 5.5 needed 18lb it also ran at 3600 rpm with the governor on maybe its the same dont think it would hurt only wish I could find one here instead of mailing in for it there is probably a place in the chicago area I just dont know where it is

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I only removed the arm on mine and have yet to play with the internals so dunno Eldo. Am sure some one will.
Have a lil over 1,000 miles on it and the RPM has inched up to 5K. 53k is max latley but is rare that it hits that. But seems fine at that rpm. When you find the right pound spring please post?
Really like the blue meanie.

Ron, I am highest bidder! do ya get a prise or any thing? (Yeah ya dope. Ya get to buy the thing)

Now this would help an interesting HF build; http://cgi.ebay.com/Go-Kart-Cart-Ba...aultDomain_0&hash=item2ea0d6f30b#ht_805wt_907

Attachments

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Re: ACTION ALERT! Harbor Freight Greyhound 79cc engine on sale!

The HF 79cc Greyhound is on sale for $94.99 through 11/25/10. If you get any of the magazines HF advertizes in there is a 20% coupon you can clip. I clipped one out of my Car & Driver magazine, went to my local HF and was out the door with a Greyhound engine at $75.99 plus tax. Woo hoo!
dance1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Kilroy. Awesome. Just some thing great about walking out of there with a brandy-new engine. Popping open that box an' sliding off the Styrofoam cover and seeing that HF blue tank is .... dunno. The first actions of a new build. Is a bit of a high.

dance1

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
oh man! don't scare me, lol

Just bought a welder (northern tool) and am thinking tandem/pick-up purpose built MB bike frame. Lookin' at the 6.5 reviews. But will prolly stick with the 2.5 HPs

Joining the insider trac thing. Got some killer deals. Any one do that yet? Just curious.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The one I got for the build I'm just finishing was a rain check I got over the phone. Duluth is a hundred miles away, so I called first to see if they had them in stock... gone, but over the phone they set up a rain check and called me when the motor was in. I had a friend pick it up for me with a coupon I printed out on the computer and gave him ahead of time... $80.50 out the door. I've been impressed with this engine and took a first ride with it yesterday. Nice throaty exhaust, good start up power, nice acceleration and ate up hills. Isn't even broken in yet. I'm running a 65T driven sprocket, adjustable front pulley on the Qmatic transmission. Very impressed and am now eyeballing a couple more cantilever frames I have sitting around. You need a good amount of engine space for that thing. It isn't little. It's more a bulldog than a greyhound, but I like it.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
On the HF web site, I was reading reviews and most folks were complaining about having to pay for it. Then read one guy; "First big purchase and you make your $ back" Which is very true. I am going back sat. to pick up more engines and will report. Seems like a good deal. I figure I already got my moneys worth out of em many times over.

Inside Track Club Membership

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: ACTION ALERT! Harbor Freight Greyhound 79cc engine on sale!

The HF 79cc Greyhound is on sale for $94.99 through 11/25/10. If you get any of the magazines HF advertizes in there is a 20% coupon you can clip. I clipped one out of my Car & Driver magazine, went to my local HF and was out the door with a Greyhound engine at $75.99 plus tax. Woo hoo!
dance1
Anyone have an online version of the 20% off coupon I can print out? Not the Thanksgiving one for 25% off.
SB

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I joined the Inside Track Club last night. The order is still processing.
You would think that would be instant. I wonder what is taking so long?

Jim