Harbor Freight Engine

GoldenMotor.com

aj356

Oct 9, 2008
El Paso
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and I have been doing some research to motorize my bike. I have been reading and looking at different setups. I like the china kits but I also like the 4 stroke kits. I want something that is reliable so I can use it to go to work and not have to mix oil and gas. I came across this Harbor Freight Engine (Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices) which is great in cost and power. Plus I can pick it up locally. Is anyone using this engine with their bike? What kit would work with this engine?

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I have used that motor on other applications such as go-carts and such. It has a lot of torque and would probably rip the spokes right out of the rim of a MB. I think it would be to big and bulky. That engine is very wide and heavy. If you want to go with that type of engine, I would recommend staying below a 3 1/2 hp. Have fun. :crash:

aj356

Oct 9, 2008
El Paso
fairracing31
Nice setup, how fast does this baby go? Did you build the frame yourself or did you buy it already made?

aj356

Oct 9, 2008
El Paso
hill climber
I see what you are saying. I really want a 4 stroke because based on my reading it seems to be the most reliable and I would like a chain driven kit. But 35cc to 80cc does not seem like its fast/strong enough.

aj356

Oct 9, 2008
El Paso
I have a mountain bike that I am thinking of putting this engine on but I was also thinking on getting a cruiser bike and putting it on that one. Where did you get you shifter kit from?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man AJ, you don't mess around! lol. that would be one fast, powerful MB. Suicidal, but kool.

Took awhile but got the dimensions for this one. still to big if you want to keep your peddles. Shame it is to big. is only $99

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thank you sir. I really have to consider a kit. Fabricating every thing was just getting crazy expensive.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and I have been doing some research to motorize my bike. I have been reading and looking at different setups. I like the china kits but I also like the 4 stroke kits. I want something that is reliable so I can use it to go to work and not have to mix oil and gas. I came across this Harbor Freight Engine (Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices) which is great in cost and power. Plus I can pick it up locally. Is anyone using this engine with their bike? What kit would work with this engine?
6.5 hp is a lot for any bike. now if you were building a mini chopper or something else then yeah rock on with your bad self. you could throw that thing on something like a honda rebel or old CB 350 frame and you got a decent, albeit rather slow motorcycle.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
6.5 hp is a lot for any bike. now if you were building a mini chopper or something else then yeah rock on with your bad self. you could throw that thing on something like a honda rebel or old CB 350 frame and you got a decent, albeit rather slow motorcycle.
one last thing. if you like 4-stroke kits this guy that runs a local shop in Austin, sells 4-stoke frame mounted kits with a centrifugal clutch. it's Home | Longhorn Bikes and ask for Renee. my next project will probably be based on one of these kits.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hey guys,

Harbor freight has a 2.5HP 80cc 4-stroke that is actually fairly light. It is blue and white, and looks like a Honda copy.

It's not configured correctly for in-frame use, but it might be an option for a simple rack mount set-up for basic transportation.

Jim