Getting ready for a cold Christmas

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The weather here I predicted to be bad starting tomorrow, were looking at freezing rain then snow and very cold temperatures for us. It could be one of the coldest Christmases on record for Georgia, I've got my wood rack in the garage full of red oak, we also have a vent free gas fireplace in our den that doesn't need power to operate. If we loose power we will stay warm. A lot of people here don't have a backup heat source.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Norm it’s usually warm here too, Im prepared for what ever happens. They are predicting 2-1/2 to 3 days below freezing. I keep an electric oil heater under the sink in my shop, it’s in a cabinet and on the lowest setting it keeps the bottom of the sink warm, if the power goes out I have a buddy heater I can run under the cabinet as well. We heat mostly with our wood heater so the house will not be a problem.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
It's just warming up a little since the cold was here few days ago the north and east of new Mexico gets the snow... My power is under ground and I'm close to the county fire station and a sheriff office so power would be the last off first on type of thing ... My heat tape gives me just enough warm water to do my dishes then goes cold again... Raychem out of redwood city CA... Cadillac of heat tape I'm good to -20 F or probably more before it actually overcame the tape and actually froze...

Mossy

May 20, 2022
You guys are gonna hate me.... it's supposed to be 74 degrees here in Los Angeles for Christmas. .santa.santa
I was hoping to make it back out there for January but I got a motor with that money... I've lived all over California since the 90's and try to split my time between LBC and San Jose where it's a little more chill

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Winter is proving to be OK, I just in Nor Cal keep an eye on freeze warnings. I have a Valencia Dwarf Orange tree that has been transported within the Bay Area, an up to inland way Nor Cal like 50 miles short or Oregon where it spent time indoors in the winter. Now Coastal CA at 1000ft in Mendocino County, I am at the ready to go out and spray water over it and blueberry shrubs to keep from freezing.

Recently about 200 miles further up the Nor Cal Coast by Eureka, though I did not feel the quake, a 6.5 hit near off shore and 70K people lost power. 2 deaths unfortunately and a dozen people injured. They are checking a bridge that had damage and it has been closed. Routes over to Hwy 5 seem to have not been affected.

Centers have been set up for those affected. I expect they have a lot of power lines to get sorted out up there. I was in the Bay Area when 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake hit. I quickly hid under a strong wooden table. Later an after shock while at college and no way to get out quick, it was back to lessons. I might see about this new newfangled app for mobile device to warn 10 second before a strike. Reverse 911 call already have. Maybe listen to the ravens around if they know something if near tsunami areas of the coast.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It was 46 when we went to bed last night, it’s 17 at 7:45 this morning. That kind of weather change is bad for me because of sinus pressure. I got a good fire going so I have something to do, they are predicting power outages too. With the rain the last couple of days and the high winds blowing this front through we’ll probably have trees down all around.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
-11 feels like -34 today, but in about a week we will be back in the 30's, But this is a normal winter for us, except the early sow, doesn't usually come until January for us. I can remember the January 10th storm back in the 70's, started out as thunder and rain, soon turned to snow by Saturday am we had 24", everything was shut down, and I didn't get dug out till late Sunday afternoon. Seems kind of like it is coming back, ug................Curt

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I’m ready for this cold weather to leave, it was 12 yesterday morning and is again this morning. We are not used to this!
You got that right, -30+ wind chill for a week now, the cold weather is not to bad if the wind is not bad. You got to learn to make the best of it, bundle up and have fun. We use to get on the snowmobile and go on a picnic, have a bomb fire, now at 81 I just go out in the shop, were it is warm. The bad thing about this last cold snap is I have a case Garden tractor, with a blower on it, and I knocked a rod out of it, so I had to get the neighbor to plow me out some. So when the norm gets turned it spills the beans, and don't like cleaning up after. I will have the tractor going again today if all goes right, good feeling, that and the weather suppose to get up to 34 above on Wednesday................Curt