Front engine mount/ 2 stroke/ DAMAGE?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by T Rock, May 12, 2010.

1. T Rock

T Rock New Member

Is it bad to drill a hole threw your frame to mount your front engine mount with a big tube frame ? I heard stories about how it could damage your frame. Is true or is this a myth ?

2. dvddtz

dvddtz New Member

I have only drilled one frame out of 14 builds,and I rode that bike for around 2500 miles and then sold it.But I would suggest not drilling if at all possible,as it will weaken the frame in that area.And it was a steel frame,Huffy Cranbrook.

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I would avoid it at all cost, since there are a hundred other ways to do it without drilling.

4. T Rock

T Rock New Member

thanks for the info guys, saw a lot of pictures where people have drilled a hole threw the front tube, it kinda made me cringe. I think the muffler clamp looking mount might be a better set-up. The reason why I ask is that im building another bike this weekend and it has a big front tube and wanted to do it the best possible way.

5. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Muffler clamp to a bracket. No reason to do anything else unless you're a welder.

6. metalliatic

metalliatic New Member

it wont hurt anything. i did mine that way and its a good way to mount it solid with out the motor moving. there probably is a better way to do it but this is cheap and easy way. my frame was curved and had a big bottom tube so that was the easy way for me.

7. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

No need to drill , theres always clamps and brackets you can get or make.