Flats

GoldenMotor.com

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I used to brag to myself that I never got a flat tire on a bike ride...only close to home where tools are available. So today I decide to go on a 15 mile trek since I have off. I get to my destination and check out the local bike shop. I figured I would get some extra tubes and a portable tire pump. They were expensive there so I decided to buy online. On my way home BAM, back tire blows. Not just the tube, but tire and tube. Great....so off I go walking home through all the hills. Walked about 7 miles.

Not much of a story, but i'm sweating my nads off right now lol. I really need run flats.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Thats why I always carry my favorite tool with me when I ride my motorized bicycle. A cell phone.................................

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Didn't work till I was a mile from my house. No service by the water ;) Any good online stores you recommend for bikes? I picked up three tubes today and two of them are being used in TWO flats. So I have an extra. Now...where online is a good seller where I can get tubes and a portable bike pump/co2 pump?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
We are out in the flat open country here. Cellphones work nearly everywhere.

I use to have a little hand pump that clipped under the bar on a regular bicycle. It would fit on my cruiser but not my mountain bike. I have seen those little cans of fixaflat for motorcycles at Wally World. I bet one of them would inflate a tire pretty quickly. I think if I was doing lots of traveling on my motorized bicycle I'd carry a couple of tubes and a couple of those small cans of fixaflat..................................

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I alway's ride with a spare tube tools to change tire and a small pump that clip's to the frame.... I also use old inner tube's as liner's. I have not had a flat in four years but I know the first ride without that stuff I will have one.
:ride2:

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I've been stranded multiple times due to pinch flats, since my wide rims and tires on my mountain bike caused drive chain rub, so I went from 2.1" tires to 1.5" to clear the chain, but that dropped the sidewall height due to the wide rims, so a decent bump and the tire would squeeze against the rim causing a "snakebite" with two holes where the folded over tire with tube inside would be pinched between the rim and the ground.

I tried to get flat free solid tires from airfreetires.com, but they took my money and never shipped my tires after nearly three weeks, so I added Slime sealant to a new tire/tube, and haven't pinch flatted yet. I was skeptical at first, but it actually worked! 4oz in each tire..voila!

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Oh yeah, I use the CO2 things when mtn biking due to time...pumping takes time. But CO2 cartridges are heavy when you have enough to be actually prepared. A single flat will use about 3 cartrides. Half to fill/find leak. Fill/recheck leak. Two to inflate to good pressure. Get another flat (I've had four in one ride before) and the weight of CO2 escalates. Personally, I'd prefer to have 2 CO2 cartrides and a regular mini pump in my bag. And Slime will apparently thwart pinch flats and thorns, but definitely not broken beer bottles.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now before you yell at me I know this is the wrong things to use, but I wanted to try it and for me it works really well.

I bought a big can of fix o flat at the auto parts store. Wallywart has it to. So I just deflated one of the tires put in a little of the gunk. then rode it around the block and pumped it to the correct pressure with my little compressor. then I did the other one the same way. I was a little low on air the other day in the front tire. I put in a little of the fix o flat ran it up and down the drive to spread it out then pumped it to pressure. So far it is holding.

Since the most I am ever from home is about five miles, I figure I can live with it if the tire explodes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I usually get a good amount of fixaflat on the outside as well as inside of the tire before I'm through. Not sure how big a hole it will fill but it usually stops up some of them.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Gotta use a leather thick tube. Green stuff slime used it for the last 30 years. It has worked well for me. Have had to wear some on me before! Still will gladly pay that price.

junkyard

Jan 6, 2009
st.petersburg fla
well i put the rims the tubes were already in onto a bmx and it rode good....couldnt really tell the difference

but i havent riden in awhile esp a bmx so i have no reference really

i guess ill be the guinea pig on this one and give em a try

honestly i cant tell the difference when i squeeze them by hand

ill also let you know how the install goes cuz im gunna use dif tires for the MB

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA