Flatless Tires or tubes ????

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the flatless tubes you need the same tools as with a regular tube wich is ussually just the little plastic things. not sure on the tubeless. i have to say nothing is flat prof maybe resitant.

beachbikeron

May 18, 2008
I was cruising and I clicked on a site that claimed to have no air tires, I guess that would mean solid rubber? They only came in 26'' size and you had to buy they're special tool to mount the tire! I had to get off my computer in a hurry and I lost the site! I also saw somewhere about a flat resistant liner for the inside of your tire named tufftire or something like that ? Any one know about any of these ???

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i stand corrected i had never heard of such a thing till tonight. i hope to here more about them from someone on how they ride ect. could you imagine never having a flat again. :D

beachbikeron

May 18, 2008
Hey guys, this is new to me also! Go to' airfreetires', You tell them your rim size and they show the tire that you can buy??? I've never bought a set, but a friend is gonna check them out and let me know how they are??????

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I got a set of airless tube's at Walmart for my nephew's 20inch BMX bike. He has been using them for 4 years now with no problem's. They did not have 26inch when I was there but would have got them if they did. They were 20 buck's each.

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
I don't know about flatless tires but, I just purchased a set of Armidillo tires for my MB. They have a kevlar lining that helps prevent punctures From rocks, sticks and general crap you would find driving down a busy highway (glass, metal peices). Spendy little buggers... $118.00 a set!

Thanks,

Ben

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Hi All,
I've been plagued with flats...I have a long thread about it on the "other" board...

I ended up using Bell "No More Flats". These are solid airless tubes. Let me tell you they are HARD to install...like putting a tire on with the tube already inflated - but it can be done.

Just TAKE YOUR TIME...allow 2 hours per tire at least!

I got the first one done in about 2 hours, after almost giving up several times...the second tire proved to be much harder than the first, because the tube is tear-drop shaped instead of round....it twisted a bit, and wouldn't allow the rear tire to seat properly on the rim....after 6 hours of trying EVERYTHING, I ended up cutting off the tire! For my rear tire, I used the Bell 5mm Extra Thick self sealing tube...and I prepped the rim with 3 layers of electrical tape over the spokes, then the tube, then Mr. Tuffy on top between the tire and the top of the tube.

Then everyone suggested that I should run with a lower PSI...so the slime doesn't heat up and blow up the tube...well, I'm running the rear tire at about 35 lbs and so far, so good for 3 days in a row now! Woo-hoo!

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!
Mark

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey fairracing31, If they had 26'', how do you put them on? And what are they made of?
You put them on just like a regular tire and tube. Get one side of the sidewall around the rim, then insert the tube, be sure tube is around the rim and pry the sidewall on. Of course it's not that easy takes a bit of work. I think I spent at least 1/2 hour to do both.
I could not find what it was made of, It's almost like solid rubber but it still has a softness to it. I've been to Walmart several times and one time they had one 26 inch and I could kick myself for not getting it.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I run em' on my Mongoose DX/AL mountain bike. 26' Wally World has them. I wear out tires but never tubes. Tech Tip. Vasilene around the valve stem will
repel "rot" and when You dismount the tire it comes right off the rim.(c)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have used old tire as liner's. What I do is cut the sidewalls out and then put them in the tire and use them as a liner between the tire and tube. This will add wieght and it takes a few times of adding air and letting it out to be sure you don't pinch the tube anywhere, but I have never had a flat using that system. I've also just used old tubes as liner's, just cut the steem out.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
My experience with No-Mor-Flats .
You need two people ( a large brown dog is optional) with three or more large metal screwdrivers, wonder bar, prybar, tire tools.
Not all tire and tube combos work.
I use a kmart (1.95 no tread $12.00) roadracing tire because it fits my only available size of No more flats so well. A 1.75 to 2.25 wally world 19.00 tube.
Place the tire on the ground.
Install one side of the new tire.
Force, push ,mash or squish the no more flats into the proper place on the rim inside the tire.
You should have one half of your tire and the no more flats inside the metal edges of the rim.
Now you need two men and a dog.
Using your weight push a screw driver into position to pry a small portion of thr tire into position.
Pry and hold.
Move over about an inch or less.
Using your weight push a screw driver into position to pry a small portion of thr tire into position.
Have yout buddy hold these one or two prybars in position while you work your way around the rim.
It will go in.

Take tiny bites. No more than an inch or so at a time while maintaining tension on the tire.

I tried slime, and multiple rubber tube liners.
The roads in Bull Head are a crime.
Two inches of asphalt over desert sand. Deep holes Painted the same color as the surrounding asphalt. Man hole covers three inches above the roadway, also painted.
The roadway resembles a melted honeycomb.
Without no more flats I could not even use a bicycle here.

Last edited:

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
I'm still good with my setup...been commuting to work every day with no problems...even cruising at 25mph now!

I did add more pressure to my rear tire, as it felt a bit squirrely on uneven surfaces like driveway entrances on sidewalks, for example. I guess I'm up to around 40-45 psi now, and everything happy.

I would have liked to get the rear No-More-Flats on, too, but now I'm actually glad that I can control the PSI in the back to adjust for a more comfortable ride.

I ran over glass yesterday - heard the front tire crushing it, and had no worries at all of a front tire blowout! That was pretty dang cool. The rear tire is pretty well-protected too, with the Kevlar tire and the Mr. Tuffy's, although my paranoia made me pull over and check everything anyway...no worries, and I really love my bike!

Now I just gotta stop buying stuff for it! :)

I'm actually thinking about going back to the balloon tires now that I think I figured out the flat's problem (the rear tire fix)...thoughts?

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Oh, how your hands and fingers will ache!
Good opportunity to curse in new and different languages!
Have fun, it is worth it...just make sure you're not in any sort of hurry and take your time.