Fix, fix, fix!

GoldenMotor.com

LunchMoney

Jun 25, 2023
Hi guys!

I'll keep it simple. Haven't used my bike for a month because of a leaky carb. Yesterday, i went to fix it. Fixed it. Now it has an air leak, i mean it does not idle without choke. And yes, i have sprayed the intake with wd40 and it did nothing.

Reactions: fasteddy

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Yup. gotta check things all the time. Here is my thoughts

I'll keep it simple. Haven't used my bike for a month because of a leaky carb. Yesterday, i went to fix it. Fixed it. Where did you find the leak? Fuel inlet barb? Bowl screws? From the air filter [stuck needle valve]? Now it has an air leak. Do you use an O ring when inserting the intake manifold into the carb? It does not idle without choke. And yes, i have sprayed the intake with wd40 and it did nothing.

I think you should remove the bowl and check the main jet and jet tube to be sure they are where they are supposed to be, and they are snugly tight. Also; be sure the idle screw is adjusted in enough [clockwise] to increase fuel flow for idle.

LunchMoney

Jun 25, 2023
I don't know the exact location of the leaking, it think the fuel drainage thing at the bottom was stuck, but the leak was definitely not from the air filter. Yes, there is an O ring in the carb. I have blown out the main jet with air and nothing is obstructing the fuel flow and the needle seems to be working correctly too. When choked, the engine revvs very high but once the choke is moved slightly, the rpms drop very suddenly and after about 6 seconds the engine dies.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Remove the Bowl and see if the Jet and Jet tube are in place. Sure does snd like air leak - from your description. Double check and be sure the intake is seated tightly against the O-ring in carb?
Also, Be sure your fuel tank cap is allowing the venting needed. I have taken the fuel tank cap and drilled a 1/16 hole right in the center of it. If cap is not venting proper, fuel will not flow. I just throwing out things for you to consider hoping to be helpful.

LunchMoney

Jun 25, 2023
When i removed the bowl, the jet was screwed in correctly and there was no visible debree and when i put the carb back in on the intake, i made sure it was snug and tightened it firmly. The fuel flow seems to be good too. What can be causing this? I have encountered the same problem with a previous engine and the problem was the cdi and i jave changed it, but this one is just like 50 miles old

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, if you can take a couple of pictures of your bike that would make helping easier. How level is your carb? I’ve used 3M glue on the intake tube before to get a good seal, don’t over tighten the carb, I’ve made a leak worse trying to snug the carb.

LunchMoney

Jun 25, 2023
Thank you, it's nice to be here I will send you the photos. So the leak can even be somewhere deeper in the i take? I have sprayed some wd to the carb and intake conection and did not get a reaction or change in the rpms

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The crank seals are a place to check with the covers off and spray... Installed dry and probably not install all the way and not the best quality to begin with... The sealing surface of the crank and the fact it's not true wobbling around... A 2smoker uses the case to supply fuel so it's easy to over look that because if it's leaking air into the case it's not going to show a drip like a 4 stroke would with a bad seal and it doesn't effect the running either... Is where I would look next

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Yes, that’s the seals to check. Remove each side cover and look for fuel leaking from the seal area, the thinner seal behind the magnet is the one that gives the most problems, I had one that kept popping out.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would make sure the carburetor is sealed good to the intake, it work better with a oring in the carburetor sandwiched against the end of the intake.

LunchMoney

Jun 25, 2023
Maybe i should put tape or something on the intake, because the carb is there snug, does not move at all and there is an o ring. What more places could i check?

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
I don't know the exact location of the leaking, it think the fuel drainage thing at the bottom was stuck, but the leak was definitely not from the air filter. Yes, there is an O ring in the carb. I have blown out the main jet with air and nothing is obstructing the fuel flow and the needle seems to be working correctly too. When choked, the engine revvs very high but once the choke is moved slightly, the rpms drop very suddenly and after about 6 seconds the engine dies.
Spend $10.00 on Amazon and buy a new carburetor.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've had a fuel filter that came with a little piece of plastic like a small bb inside that had me messed up for a while ..it worked until the filter filled up and the plastic floated up and slowly turned off the flow... So don't take anything for granted

LunchMoney

Jun 25, 2023
I have fixed the problem with the choke, now unsurprisingly a new problem arose which is my nightmate. Bike starts okay, but revs are high and when i try to unscrew the idle screw, the revs go down and down and down and then it shuts completly off and starts leaking from the air filter. When i try to ride whith high revs, sometimes when I try to give it some throttle it sometimes instantly shuts down and starts leaking fuel from air filter. I HAVE CHECKED THE CARB BOWL and blew air thru all the holes and no debree was there. Maybe a carb cleaner would be better? This is the second carb and it's like 4-5 months old, the first one had the same problem.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
You have an air leak if it's running like that... Run a file over the intake and cylinder mating surface get rid of the hi spots and put Indian head gasket shellac on both sides of the gasket and let it sit over night...
Then adjust your carb by putting the needle in the 2nd from the top notch... 65-70 jet depending on your altitude..

Reactions: Greg58