First Build.

GoldenMotor.com

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
I'm a small female, 5'4" at 145lb. I plan to use this bike as a dayly commuter. It's going to get some miles on it. I do have some basic mechanical skills. I can do spark plugs and wires and did my own starter once. I raised my kids alone and fixed everything, bikes, skateboards, football uniforms, beds, dressers, I did it all. I figure if I can build it I can fix it. I'm not great with technical terms and tend to like things being better quality than what I can buy. Which has often left me making **** up as I go.

I think I've settled on the 48cc 2 stroke Flying Horse as a good starter. Reasonably priced and street legal.

I'm looking for suggestions on bike frame options. Pretty sure I want to stick with disc brakes. I'm looking for the smallest frame I can get away with. Again I'm not a big person. But I want something that's going to be solid and handle well.

Also, has anyone had any luck with tricycle frames? Interested in how that might turn out.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if there are a lot of hills in your area, I'd recommend a 66cc or 70cc - from the outside of the motor there are no markings as to what size it is, so you can just tell folks it is 48cc : )

Reactions: Beastmodepink82

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, at 5'4" you'll probably need a bike with 24" tires. The problem with most 24" bikes is the mounting area for the engine will be tight, a high quality beach cruiser with multi-speeds and good v-brakes should do.

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
Welcome to the forum, at 5'4" you'll probably need a bike with 24" tires. The problem with most 24" bikes is the mounting area for the engine will be tight, a high quality beach cruiser with multi-speeds and good v-brakes should do.
I was thinking a cruiser would be better for several reasons. I don't like multi speed bicycles such as ten speeds. And, if I under stand correctly you have more tire space. I'll want a really sturdy tire.
Living near Portland, with a little patients you can get anything used for any price, especially bikes.
Which cruisers would you recommend. There are a lot of second hand options available to me right now. I can probably pick up something in the top 2 or 3 brands for under $100.

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
if there are a lot of hills in your area, I'd recommend a 66cc or 70cc - from the outside of the motor there are no markings as to what size it is, so you can just tell folks it is 48cc : )
I had a buddy with the 66cc moped did none of the guys he get to go more than about 40mph. But I'd hop on that thing and hit 50mph all day long. This will be my first build that will probably go to my 22 year old daughter with zero experience. I'd like to get the idea of handling it before I hop onto something with the stronger motor. What are your thoughts on that?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Most people shy away from aluminum frames but mine has had no problems, its the first bike I built. I started with a single speed beach cruiser and added side pull bmx brakes on front, using the coaster and front brake the bike stops well. A used 24" beach cruiser would be a good choice.

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
At present I have two bikes, one with a 48 and the other with a 66. The 66 is faster but the 48 is much smoother and more enjoyable to ride.
I'm not as interested in the speed is the reliability. Again, this fruits to build will probably end up going to my daughter. She's my same height but only about 115lbs. She also lives in Portland, which has stricker regulations on motorized bicycles. The law actually says 38cc.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Better to go with a 79cc four stroke engine kit, with a qmatic transmission on it. I havent had a setup like this, but I know the HF 4-strokes and the clutch in that transmission are solid. and I have worked on several small 2-stroke kits and every part is junk. the junky kits are the reasons why there are two motorized bicycle boards with thousands of posts on them; it's because they have so many problems. My 2nd build was a 2-stroke and immediately had a faulty cdi. With a 79cc there isn't near as much stuff to go wrong. Build it into a heavy steel cruiser frame, with a suspension fork on the front and a hydraulic dual or quad piston disc caliper with 200mm disc. For the rear wheel do whatever people say, hub adapter on a shimano coaster hub I think. Here's a 212cc in an old schwinn

Attachments

Last edited:

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
Better to go with a 79cc four stroke engine kit, with a qmatic transmission on it. I havent had a setup like this, but I know the HF 4-strokes and the clutch in that transmission are solid. and I have worked on several small 2-stroke kits and every part is junk. the junky kits are the reasons why there are two motorized bicycle boards with thousands of posts on them; it's because they have so many problems. My 2nd build was a 2-stroke and immediately had a faulty cdi. With a 79cc there isn't near as much stuff to go wrong. Build it into a heavy steel cruiser frame, with a suspension fork on the front and a hydraulic dual or quad piston disc caliper with 200mm disc. For the rear wheel do whatever people say, hub adapter on a shimano coaster hub I think. Here's a 212cc in an old schwinn
As much as I would prefer the reliability of a 4 stroke, size wise I'm thinking that's to much engine. I need something I can build onto a smaller framed bike. My daughter and I both live in upstairs apartment units. We're not big people. And, while I could muscle something bigger around. My daughter cannot.
I do hope to build one a couple builds from now after I've gained some experience.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The 48 will carry you fine, I can cruise at 25 to 26 for hours on mine. Mine is on a 26" tire beach cruiser and at 6'1" and 210 it hauls me. The key is getting it tuned right.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as a side note if you're worried about legality, build something that looks like a bicycle rather than something like the pic above that really looks like a motorcycle

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
The 48 will carry you fine, I can cruise at 25 to 26 for hours on mine. Mine is on a 26" tire beach cruiser and at 6'1" and 210 it hauls me. The key is getting it tuned right.
Can I add disk breaks to a cruiser? Also, some of the women's cruisers appear to have enough space to mount an engine. Any thoughts on that?

Beastmodepink82

Jan 21, 2018
Vancouver, Wa
as a side note if you're worried about legality, build something that looks like a bicycle rather than something like the pic above that really looks like a motorcycle
My first build will go to my daughter. She's just under 5'4" and only about 115lb. I grew up on mini bikes. She has zero experience and I don't want her having the ability to go faster than about 20mph.
Depending on the speed I'm able to get with my first build, I will very likely go for a 66cc on my second.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I get a lot of customers with motorcycle-looking bikes that get pulled over before the cop realizes it is a bicycle - often then, the cop is too embarrassed about getting fooled to let them go without finding something to ticket them for

for your daughter, I've seen 24" trek 10-speeds that are just big enough to hold a motor, and will go slow with the little 24" wheels

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I added front side pull brakes to both of mine, I know you said you wanted disc brakes but bmx style 96mm reach work real good if you have a good pad. I found mine on eBay. I bought the kit with cable lever and mounting hardware.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that 24in bike looks like a tight fit for motor - can't quite tell from pic if rear wheel has 36 spokes if rag joint will be used for rear sprocket - 24in wheel will be a LOT slower than a 26in wheel

as side note, at my shop, I refuse to build a coaster brake bike

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Some of the members here have done 24 inch bikes, maybe one will give their insight. The beach cruiser will have the most room for a engine, finding the right one will be the key.