First build: No Idle, No Throttle, No Power,...no hope?

GoldenMotor.com

LWalker

Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am BEYOND frustrated with my motorized bike. I finished assembling my bike yesterday and it starts - but just barely. I peddle up to about 5-10 mph and release the clutch to engage the motor. The motor engages but there is absolutely no power whatsoever. There is also no idle - the engine is so weak as soon as I stop pedaling, the motor completely dies. I was able to get the bike to idle by turning the idle screw all the way in - however, when I did this the engine was idling way too high. Lastly, when I twist the throttle I can hear something in the carb being raised and lowered but the throttle has no effect on the engine whatsoever. I get 0 acceleration from the throttle and I can't even hear it making the engine rev.

I suspect these are all symptoms of one core issue but I'm not sure what that issue is other than it probably has something to do with the carb. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take the bike to a mechanic (do mechanics even work on motorized bikes?) but I really need my bike working so I can get around.

Here are some of the specifications of my bike.

29 in Mongoose Excursion.

Zeda Firestorm yd100 kit (so yd100 engine)

Extra Long Carb offset (I couldn't get the carb to fit under the frame)

This is the carburetor:

https://www.bikeberry.com/2-stroke-...PuDPgm6PtNEBmlcuVm1-AfwH65Ye_gZhoCOVgQAvD_BwE

One other thing to note: My spark plug is a little loose in the engine - I had to hand tighten it because none of my wrenches fit around the plug. A bit of gas was leaking from around the plug. Could this be the cause of all my issues?

Please help!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
First- you will have to do more than hand tighten the plug- but that's not your problem.

I think you have the cable/slide/ect assembled wrong. It sounds like the engine will start, but if you can give it throttle, you'll get those symptoms. Take your air filter off, and turn the throttle- does the slide go up? If not, there's your problem.

Let me know what happens.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also- reading the description for that carb- lol.wow. I would call the description "pure unadulterated b.s." considering it is....

A larger "port" or venturi will def not "help" the idle OR low end. Also, a lot of these kits are almost too rich to begin with, a larger jet is not going to help much. Especially the claim of "better fuel mileage".

Did the kit come with that carb, or did you buy it separately and install it instead of the stock one?