Finishing the Greyhound Build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Vibration is very subjective to evaluate.
I have a 79 also, but being tied to an alternator, the engine can't rev beyond 3 grand or so. Very low vibes. How is it at cruising speed?

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Dan you and I may have passed on the street sometime, back then I had long hair and a loong beard and rode a motorcycle all the time. I may have been in the same saloon too. I will pm you with my email.
Gator mine is geared 12 to 1 with a 26x1.95 also. I feel my vibration in the pedals mostly and i think a lot comes from knobby tires. It is not broken in yet and I did not want to push past 34 mph yet.
Professor it is smooth at 3600 to 4000 rpm.
Thanks guys for the replies.

Last edited:

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I should have said that my bike vibrates (but not excessive) at high speed only, like above 35MPH. I do have a knobby on the front with suspension fork, but I think it vibrates because of the high RPMs. I was surprized when I did the calculations and discovered that my engine was reving that high. I disconnected the governor from the throttle but didn't remove the internal components. I am now a bit concerned about the high RPMs. This engine wasn't designed for and may not be able to withstand without serious consequences. Am I justified in my concern?

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
In the week since It has been on the road I have put 282 miles on it. It is running very well. I hit 36.6 mph this morning so it is getting broken in. Changed the oil at 150 miles and it had a lot of metal dust in it which is to be expected on the first oil change. All in all i am very pleased with it. Next step is to build a new frame for it, hope I can do a recumbent this time. I would like to make a shifter too, really would like more than one speed.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I should have said that my bike vibrates (but not excessive) at high speed only, like above 35MPH. I do have a knobby on the front with suspension fork, but I think it vibrates because of the high RPMs. I was surprized when I did the calculations and discovered that my engine was reving that high. I disconnected the governor from the throttle but didn't remove the internal components. I am now a bit concerned about the high RPMs. This engine wasn't designed for and may not be able to withstand without serious consequences. Am I justified in my concern?
You probably did not do any damage unless you held it at high rpm's for a long time. I don't think this engine will live at more than 5000 rpm.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Elmo. Be funny if we had a beer together way back. Folks were great down your way.

Not sure if I posted RPM on this thread, but according to tach, doing 4800 easily and a lil over 5000 when she is hot. Think the heat shield is keeping her too cool. Runs better after shutting down and then running again when she is still hot. But then cools down again. Will try with out the heat shield an' report. Really is a great engine to build with. I am trying to be ruff on it to see what she can take.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks for the reply Dan if you have any advice or tips feel free to share them. According to gear calculator mine is doing 5680 at 36.6 mph. I dunno is it would have gone faster cause I let off, don't want to run it too hard till I get 400 or 500 miles on it. I think that will correspond to their 20 hour break in period cause I usually average 20 or so mph. If I go to 500 miles I am sure to be past the 20 hrs. I haven't noticed the heat thing on mine but bear in mind these are chinese and they probabl different from one to another.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You guys are killing me. I have a HF 79cc that I just haven't had time to play with. Atleast you guys are helping to save me some time when I finally do get around to it. Thanks guys!
Dan, sounds like that tach may have come in handy after all. I am still liking mine. My little honda clone atv engine has shown to run over 9k rpms when I stretch it's legs. I couldn't believe it. Took the tach off and tried on another engine with a known rpm band and what do you know, it is fairly accurate. Never would've thought this engine would turn that high.

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
damn elmo
i love your set up i have another build similar to yours but its not a tandem bike just going to strectch the rear.
keep up the good work i really like my greyhound motor it puts like a harley at full throttle.
seems like they would last longer than the 2 strokes

ride on

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Mine is not a tandem, it is a bike cut off back of the seat post and another cut in front of the seat post and joined with heavy wall square tubing on the bottom and a top tube from another bike on top. Most people think it is a tandem when they see it though. As Hunter used to say" works for me".

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You guys are killing me. I have a HF 79cc that I just haven't had time to play with. Atleast you guys are helping to save me some time when I finally do get around to it. Thanks guys!
Dan, sounds like that tach may have come in handy after all. I am still liking mine. My little honda clone atv engine has shown to run over 9k rpms when I stretch it's legs. I couldn't believe it. Took the tach off and tried on another engine with a known rpm band and what do you know, it is fairly accurate. Never would've thought this engine would turn that high.
Civl, you would not believe how much that tach has helped with figuring stuff out!! Thank you again!

Civlized donated the tach to this project.

.flg.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Elmo,
I admire your skill and think you've come up with a very cool ride. It looks rock solid and comfortable and I'm guessing that engine is going to give you very little trouble. You going to haul the grand kids around in your trailer?
SB

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
You going to haul the grand kids around in your trailer?
SB You can bet your bippy as they used to say on laughin. I was out today scratching through my junk pile uh i mean my spare parts inventory and came up with some wheels and 3/4" emt conduit for the frame. I havent figured out a trailer hitch yet. Do you have any ideas. Seems that I remember you posting about pulling a trailer with your bike with a little boy in it, was touching.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I rigged something up about fifteen years ago which I can't remember now how I went about it. I know that it required more turning radius than using the stock ones from commercial bike trailers. I bought a new Instep lightning model some years back and put over a thousand miles on it hauling mostly my little dog, Aaniimoosh, but also Indian kids. It was a good one. You have a better memory than I do recalling that post about Isaac.
I've since been on the lookout for bike trailers when I see them at yard sales and found one for about ten bucks that had a molded body of plastic on it, but a good hitch/mount set up. The dog refused to ride in that one because it wasn't like her old lightning model. I found another and different Instep model at the landfill last summer missing the wheels which I found donors for from a kid's 20" bike, That's the one I want to try to make into a sidecar for the dog. My brother gave me his lightning model which he rarely used so that is what the dog rides in now since it is like her old one. The molded plastic ones are loud and probably less comfortable, she endorses the Instep lightning model. Dog knows best.
Good grief, I have four bike trailers. The pitiful thing is if I saw another at a yard sale I'd be tempted. Or an old bike. One of my X's said that my favorite color was rust. Never saw a boat I didn't like or an old outboard motor. Old cars. Falling down, neglected barns. I think I have old crap disease.
Anyway, the commercial ones I'm familiar with hook to the axle and are easily removed/ put back on with a clip. The Instep is designed to flex (twist) at the hitching point so if you dump the bike the trailer remains upright as a safety feature. If you can find a dead bike trailer and use the hitch from it that would be a good thing. I'm sure there are ways to hitch to the seat post. Clever as you are, you've probably already made something. It really is cool hauling little people around, even ones with four legs.
SB

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You going to haul the grand kids around in your trailer?
SB You can bet your bippy as they used to say on laughin. I was out today scratching through my junk pile uh i mean my spare parts inventory and came up with some wheels and 3/4" emt conduit for the frame. I havent figured out a trailer hitch yet. Do you have any ideas. Seems that I remember you posting about pulling a trailer with your bike with a little boy in it, was touching.
Air line quick coupling? I've been thinking of building a trailer for a while and I think that would work great.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I found a great deal at Dirt Cheap today. A Schwinn Hitchhiker bike trailer. They sold it to me for $12.84. Target sells these for$119.99. All that was wrong with it was the bottom bracket was too tight not allowing it to rotate. Quick fix. Now I can tow the grand kids around the neighborhood.
I put it together in front of the store and hooked it to The Flying Dutchman ( my brothers name for my bike) and finished my errands pulling it along behind me. Talk about getting that look, I got a lot of them in the 25 miles that I pulled it. The whole rig is ten feet six inches long but pulls like a dream.
The first pic is at an exhibit on the Natchez Trace and the second is at home.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I found a great deal at Dirt Cheap today. A Schwinn Hitchhiker bike trailer. They sold it to me for $12.84. Target sells these for$119.99. All that was wrong with it was the bottom bracket was too tight not allowing it to rotate. Quick fix. Now I can tow the grand kids around the neighborhood.
I put it together in front of the store and hooked it to The Flying Dutchman ( my brothers name for my bike) and finished my errands pulling it along behind me. Talk about getting that look, I got a lot of them in the 25 miles that I pulled it. The whole rig is ten feet six inches long but pulls like a dream.
The first pic is at an exhibit on the Natchez Trace and the second is at home.
That is too cool Elmo. (Got me thunking pusher! lol)

.flg.