FedEx...NEVER again.

GoldenMotor.com

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
These are pics from a customer in IL. the front fork dropout busted off, and LOOK at the dent in the tank. sweet.
i sent the guy a new-ish enough tank and upgraded him to black springers, because i'm not really sure what it would take to get replacement forks from the factory. i imagine quite a nightmare.

has anyone ever completed a claim with fedex or ups, or whatever? i figure i'll just take the $40 loss to not have to deal w/ the hassles.

knowing fedex has priors for this kind of damage, i cant believe i gave them another chance.

the box was well-packed, and plenty of FRAGILE and THIS END UP stickers on all sides.

this is the last time. all the damaged items sent to/from me over the last few years, have been fedex.

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have to agree with you Spunout. My company used UPS in the past. Great service and rarely any of my packages were damaged. We switched to Fed Ex and now almost every package I recieve has been crushed or ripped open and when it rains they throw the packages in the dirt or over my fence without any plastic bag to prevent it from getting wet(and we're talking thousand dollar parts). And when I complain to my driver, he always tells me it was another driver. So yeah IMO...Fex Ex sucks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you sure that FedEx didn't have UPS do some of their deliveries?!?

That definitely looks like a job by UPS!

I have never had a problem with FedEx, only the United Parcel Smashers....

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I guess it all depends on the area. I know the UPS driver has been in my area since the early 90's and within this past year I've seen at least 6 different Fed Ex drivers deliver to my place.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I have only one statement about all the shipping companies:

They ALL thrash packages!!! It's equal opportunity thrashing.

So that said, it's best to outsmart them and make the package bulletproof. I would love to see how that bike was packaged.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
I have only one statement about all the shipping companies:

They ALL thrash packages!!! It's equal opportunity thrashing.

So that said, it's best to outsmart them and make the package bulletproof. I would love to see how that bike was packaged.
yeah, i guess it happens sometimes no matter who the carrier is. just kind of luck-of-the-draw who takes it in the shorts on any given day.

the bike was double-boxed, for one. the front wheel was nestled on the right side, forks had a bolt w/nuts running across the span to keep forks from bending into each other, in case they layed box down and stacked $hit on top of it.. the guy says its obvious that the box was dropped on one corner. 68lb package.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wow. .duh.

Honestly my worst luck is with UPS. How many smashed boxes have you seen with a size 10 foot print right in the middle? THREE bloody times with UPS. The worst time was an aftermarket HD multicore (4?) radiator......right in the middle of the flat side on the box - a FOOT PRINT. Of course I had to battle them, but I won and UPS paid the supplier and I got a new radiator. And I got to keep the footprinted radiator. My buddy wanted it....it looked undamaged (that's why I had a big fight) - but it leaked in about 10 places!!:-||

.santa Santa brought me a big bass guitar!!dnut

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had a buisness that i shipped all over the world while in the us. i used them all and none other then the us postal service put them to shame. i had ups and fedex loose and destroy things left and right. sometimes the post office is cheaper and some times more expensive but the experience was always good so price wasnt a factor
.wee.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
SBP has only used USPS. We've had a very few misguided shipments. But the stuff made it. We've only had one box bust open, but everything was there.....it must have been drop kicked. USPS works for our business, but I doubt they ship whole bikes.

As for incoming - our growing list of suppliers use them all. All I can say is "Glad DHL is going under". No one could lose a package like DHL.

FedEx International STINKS. You guys would FREAK out if you saw what we pay in FedEx bills - and for what? Totally thrashed boxes.

UPS - I forgot to mention boxes they backed over.....

Here's the kicker - all these guys are too chicken**** to even leave a note or apology or try to make it right at the time. They just play doorbell dash! Leave a mutilated package and run.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I second the USPS for anything they will ship.

I have never had ANY problems with them, and I have even shipped items to France, Italy, Belgium, Canada and Mexico.