Extremely Budget Custom Silencer? (No weld)

GoldenMotor.com

James Watkins

Jun 13, 2019
I just put the F2 Thrust exhaust on my 2 stroke, I know its a little controversial but I like it. It looks really good, and sounds fine, also gets me good power. That said its just way to loud, I really need to know where to get or how to make a silencer for it, preferably as small as possible. Doesnt have to be quiet just like 80 db compared to like 120 db. It also needs to be really budget, and I cant do welding for a variety of reasons. I would like to lose as little power as I can. Help me out if you can guys, thanks.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Easy enough to silence as Tony posted glass pack etc. readily available. I've tried a lot of x-chambers on my bikes over the last decade, from real motorcycle chambers (the best power) custom adapted/tuned to 66cc motors, to many styles of after market bolt-on $40. to $100. x-tubes. I currently run two bikes using the Thrust pipes and they work quite well for the price, but are really loud so I adapted both with kit mufflers with just a one to two inch stub pipe remaining to attach to the Thrust stinger that was also cut off to a short stub to insert into the muffler stub. The added weight of the muffler requires good rear pipe support to the bikes frame or damage to the engines cylinder will occur. For $50. I think the Thrust an excellent choice that normally bolts up without alterations, unlike many of the so called bolt on X-pipes, but they are really loud! Look at the photos carefully to see that very little stub remains on either pipe and that they form a slip joint. That's a 1" Harley Davidson tube clamp holding the muffler to the pipe and my hybrid e-bikes frame. So it's extremely over supported and clamped.

You can get pretty creative with this setup for tuning both power band and decibels. I run the stock muffler and I can tell there's a bit of midrange torque drop off, but all around it performs well. One day I'll try eliminating some backpressure with drilling or gutting the muffler and using only a couple of baffle plates of various diameters. I'd think some mid range torque could be gained and the noise still kept down.

Rick C.
hybrid hub 2.jpg
red rock layers.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's a good value at under $18. Norm & I think I'll order one to try on one of my bikes (running a stock kit bike muffler) that I've been intending to gut and drill the cap. Should be some difference in exhaust note at least & perhaps some power improvement as well. as well.

A little side note when I cut the stinger off the Thrust x-chamber pipe I rode the bike a little before adding the muffler and though it was still loud as heck I couldn't tell any difference in performance.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01

hemmadroid

Feb 20, 2021
I made my first silencer using "chain mail" as the baffle material. It's slightly heavy but really did the job quieting that pipe down. And it had exactly the correct back pressure completely by chance I'll add. I say just right back pressure because when I changed it out the new silencer made me loose a few mph!

Reactions: fasteddy

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Not sure if it Quiets enough for the Thrust pipe. But I have used these on Straight pipe to quiet and increase back pressure with satisfactory result. Just remove the screws and use 1 or 2 of the male portion of the cleaner stuffed in the end of your exhaust. Easy to remove too!. Your result may differ of course.

Reactions: fasteddy

user54508

Feb 3, 2021
I did this with a mz65 clone no welding. Cheap easy and has been on that bike 3 yd100 motor rebuilds now with original items from this video!

Welded! But same thing ya did on my 4 stroke works well!