Excelsior V Twin build

GoldenMotor.com

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi trucked...Thats the only place it can go with out interfering with the pedal crank...gota remember the has a gear box hanging off the back and it has the exhaust ports in the center of the cylinders....DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I gotta do my exhaust too, only with a china 2-smoke mounting on the left side then running across the front of the engine and down the right side, I have about four exaust pipes, 2 expansion chambers and two stock kit pipes and I'll probably end up using them all, my goal is to try to get the curves of the original Indians,even though it won't be quite the same it will have the curves.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd...I would like to use the straight down pipes ..but when you are using aftermarket engines a 100 years later... just gotta do the best with what you've got...re-living the past is good...but I'm not paranoid about cloneing.....DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Amen to that!! cloning is cool with me,I was brought up around cars and bikes that today if my father still owned would be worth about 5 mil, right now he owns about 13 antique vehicles (fully restored) and I could never afford that so off to clone I go!

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... Heres a few more pic's of the exhaust...the pipe in my hand is the front.... with the adapter ring welded in.... that fits inside the external flange to hold the pipe on place....if you look close there are some black drawn marks on the pipes about 10" down from the flange..this is where the pipes will be cut off..both pipes will be the same length from the port....DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
OK! it's starting to look good! will the cuts be at an angle? and were you saving the saddle for the piece de la ristance

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... Have welded the back into the right tank...this is the gas tank...the left tank is used to conceal the electricts....it would have originally would have been the oil tank...I have just got to do the leak test around the welds with methylated spirits and then I can weld the six holes in the center to that braces inside the tank...I am pretty pleased with the out come of these tanks with very little distortion...nothing worse than trying to shrink flat surface in such a small area...it can over shrink and cause distortion else were and trying to chase it sometimes ruins the outcome....The shape of the tank is what has draw me to construct this bike...DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Look'n good! DD, glad to hear that I'm not the only one thinking about utilizing the oil box for electric's How do you plan on hidding wire runs?

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd...Page 21-22-23...There are references on these pages as what will happen...The site wont allow to post photos twice....There are more reference in earlier posts if care to skip through from the beginning .....DD

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi....The gas tank is near ready to put some gas in it...so I have wired up the the engine to test the new starter motor...when I brought the engine I heard it running but the guy was breaking the bike...it had been dropped and back wheel run over so I think the frame was knackered.... He had sold the starter and said I would have to get another one...that was OK as I got a new one from Hong Kong for $55.00 post free...cranks over just fine...I will make the under frame steel tie on Monday...I need a piece of 10mm solid square to make this .... I should be able to start it and give it run once this is installed...dont think the crank case was designed to be part of the frame structure.....Things to do....so there will be a few things all happening at once.....have to finish the intake manifold...fit the new flexible intake and new carby...new starter...will all the electrics work?...make a choke lever...cut the exhausts..fit new plugs...new oil filter ...fresh oil...some gas in the tank....tempoary fuel line.....have a panic attack......DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ..Have been playing with the left tank.....this will hold and hide the electrics...welded the the back into it after making sure every thing fitted OK...I have some 1/16" rubber to line the inside where the battery sits...this will hold it in place as well as the hold down strap which is bolted to the lower panel that drops out of the bottom...when its required to get at the electrical components...ie: CDI....Alt reguator..couple of relays....battery...ign coils....wireing....ect. The tanks have turned out pretty good and will not require any filler on the outside...probally just a little around the inside edges, as I didnt want to grind off to much and weaken the weld along the seams...this will only take a smeared to finish off.....I still have to Dremel grinder around the filler cap and mounting nuts ...thats silver solder and wont take much to dress up....DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi...Have been down to the steel merchant and got some 12mm solid square rod for the under frame...just think this might be necessary to strengthen the frame as I dont think the engine crankcase is designed for the stress that might be applied to it...this 1/2" solid square bar should take the flex that might be exerted to the stretching the frame open where the engine is mounted...I will weld a flat plate on each end about 3" wide and tapered to 1/2"....this should spread the load across the mounting points where it will attach to the frame....The shape was copied of a template of the bottom of the crankcase and bent up in the pipe bender using the smallest mandrel....when you do this just a small bent at a time until its at the required shape......DD

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi.....Have made the brackets for the lower hoop....tack welded into place..... reinstalled the engine to make sure it had clearance under the crankcase..3/16" right along...amazing I didnt have to reposition it....pulled the engine..and give them a good tack weld to make sure it wouldn't move...its just about ready to braze weld it together...just waiting on a 20 T sprocket for the pedal spindal...this will be for the clearance of the drive chain under the center bracket...should get it in the next few days...DD

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thats one heck of a striaght frame DD perfecto!! tell the truth I'm digg'n the brick work the bike is sitt'n on, let me guess you did that too (LOL!)

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi truckd....I'm really pleased how the frame is coming along...its straight because of the jig I made...I haven't showed two other pieces of the jig as they are seperate..but the virtually hold every thing in alignment...they are two pieces of steel 2"X 1/2" x 4' long which I clamp to the head stem down through the seat tube through to the rear axle forks...Have a special made tube that sit where the rear axle would be.....and these clamp to this...so its got to stay in aligment...makes the job easy....

The brick work ...yes I done that....theres about 14.000 bricks over 400 sq meters in the paving around the house....I dont like concrete...took me about 8 months to do it...had to buy a brick cutting machine to cut all the boundary triangles...the grass is Buffalo grass it about 4" thick and like a mattress to walk on....the house is a Federation style home so it lends itself to the brick work.....I wouldn't do it again .. getting to old..kills the back...building a bike is a lot better.....DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Now would you be able to build a different style frame in the same jig?
I am a Carpenter by trade 33yrs but back a few yrs I did concrete for the city of Ventura in Calif,I wouldn't do anything more then a side walk or two theses days, I'd rather build bikes too.