Engine advice needed

GoldenMotor.com

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
Hay Shew, do you and your wife want to name your next unborn child after me yet?
Wife still doesn't understand the reason behind putting an engine on a bicycle in the first place, and I don't understand why you wouldn't.
Guess that proves the whole women are from Venus, men are from Mars thing. :)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Shew, There are also 4 strokes and friction drives to think about. I'll stay with the chinese 2 stroke myself. Cheap to buy, cheap to fix and it LOOKS like a motorcycle.
fatdaddy.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bummer about the Whizzer Shew.

These crazy things really are addicting. It is functional art that you can ride. They are an education in art, math, electronics and mechanics. When I am out working on one, my wife tells people; "He's happy, in his element and not off racing barstools or chasing woman" LOL.

Not a suggestion but what I tell friends, start with an relatively cheap ChinaGirl and see what you really want later.

Of cource it starts out with a cheap little engine kit but is just a hobby. Then you need a welder. Then a drill press. The drill press is the true gateway tool. You tell your self you can quit any time but just have to have a mill, then a lathe.

Then you run out of garage space and have to build a shop.........

Reactions: Mark Murphy

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I play guitar, I started developing Amplifiers. First it was hard to get one or two, then it became easier until suddenly, I was swamped by them. It was a long and tragic task to cull them, but I'm down to 6 now.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I know what you mean Dan, It started with, I need a new power drill, Then a new set of metric tools, (every one of them.) Then a drill press, Then a welder, Just to put together some motor bikes. WHERE DOES IT ALL END? I've already got three bikes of my own and a couple of customer bikes in my shop. I'm running out of room. I guess it's time to build a bigger shop. I guess I shouldn't complain. I'd rather have my shop stuffed full of motorized bikes then anything else I could think of. Well, a couple Ferrari's would be OK too.
fatdaddy.

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
I can see myself getting addicted, but already have two other hobbies taking most of my free time now. I've been into hotrods most of my life and currently working on a 57 Chevy, with a 58 Ford truck in line behind it. I'm also into vintage refrigerators for some reason or another, so I'm working on a mid 40's Philco at the moment too.
I've owned motorcycles most of my life but swore them off after having my first child, so in reality the motorized bike (for me) is really just a way to break my own rules. Plus there is nothing cooler than a board track racer!
By the way... Thanks for the great welcome guys, and keep the ideas and opinions coming.

SS

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL! not kidding here. I bought a $199 Comet CVT. Now you can buy a $3 bushing to raise the 5/8 PTO to 3/4 and mod it with a grinder. LOL... wait, gonna find a PM. is way funnier. (I gotta stop making fun of my friends who spend 2K on golf clubs) Can't find it.

So, I get POed and buy, not kidding, a $800 mill lathe to make one. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30986

But ran out of room to use it. So built a shop. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40014

So far, instead of using a $13 grinder to mod a $3 part has cost me my life savings and $14 dollars.

....and I have yet to make that Gotdang bushing!

it is only money and now I have some cool stuff.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Ha Ha, Sounds about right Dan. I bought a cheapo chinese welder ($100) to weld up a motor mount I probably could have gotten for $10. I figured what the heck, I'll probably find other uses for it. Now I'm a welding fool, I'll weld ANYTHING. Did somebody say addicting?
fatdaddy

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Shew, it's a good thing you missed the Whizzer unless you wanted to register it or "run under the radar". In NC motorized bikes cannot be over 48 CCs, cannot have gears, and cannot have a manual clutch. I understand that vintage Whizzers are grandfathered in, but new ones have to be registered since the engine is 138 CCs. Hope this makes you feel better.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
LOL! not kidding here. I bought a $199 Comet CVT. Now you can buy a $3 bushing to raise the 5/8 PTO to 3/4 and mod it with a grinder. LOL... wait, gonna find a PM. is way funnier. (I gotta stop making fun of my friends who spend 2K on golf clubs) Can't find it.

So, I get POed and buy, not kidding, a $800 mill lathe to make one. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30986

But ran out of room to use it. So built a shop. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40014

So far, instead of using a $13 grinder to mod a $3 part has cost me my life savings and $14 dollars.

....and I have yet to make that Gotdang bushing!

it is only money and now I have some cool stuff.
You're my kind of people.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Bummer about the Whizzer Shew.

These crazy things really are addicting.

Of cource it starts out with a cheap little engine kit but is just a hobby. Then you need a welder. Then a drill press. The drill press is the true gateway tool. You tell your self you can quit any time but just have to have a mill, then a lathe.

Then you run out of garage space and have to build a shop.........
Not about mabs, but true story.
I had a wife, who was given a horse. We didn't have a place for it, so I bought 5acres of an old hay field. Can't have a horse eating straight alfalfa. So had to plow, disc, and seed with the proper pasture mix. That done and we needed fencing, and cross fences, imported materials from France because "horses get serious injuries from wire fences". Then I needed to bring in power, and have a 200ft well dug. We've got no shelter so I build a 36'x50 barn, stalls with 3/4" rubber matting, barred, roller doors, and of course a heated and insulated tack room. As soon as she bought a trailer, another free horse arrived to keep the first one company. A larger trailer was now needed that included a tack and changing room so she could go places to ride trails. Then a new truck was needed to pull the heavier trailer up into the mountains. I worked 16/7 running 3 related companies, and couldn't ride often, and she found herself a guy that could. Now, I build mabs in the living room, 2 there now, my gf thinks its funny and doesn't mind a bit. dance1

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It sounds to me that, after the emotional turmoil has subsided, you are now in a much better situation.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
It sounds to me that, after the emotional turmoil has subsided, you are now in a much better situation.
Yer right Ludwig, (and LOL Greybeard,) Sorry about the first girl but funny as H*LL. Glad ya got a good one yer second time around. I got a pretty good one my 8th or 9th time around. (Nobody ever said I was smart.)
fatdaddy.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Indeed!
I was in my motor home, with my cat Smokey, parked behind my best friend's place, trying to figure out my future. I had two homes, in Idaho and Hawaii, and knew I'd have to give one up, along with a considerable amount of Federal Reserve notes. While sitting there pondering, there came a knock at the door. When I opened the door, a beautiful, long haired, redhead carrying a bottle said,"have you any ice?" and three years later, she's still in my bed.
The relationship hasn't been without turmoil as it at first angered my best friend and his wife. Not because they felt loyalty to my X whom they had long known. the beautiful woman, lying beside me now, was their daughter, and he and I are still friends.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The Gods must really love you, They've never sent a "redhead carrying a bottle" to me. And she don't mind motorbikes in the house? Sounds like you got a keeper.
fatdaddy.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
And a patient one from the sound oif it, if she'd been waiting for her moment.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Indeed!
I was in my motor home, with my cat Smokey, parked behind my best friend's place, trying to figure out my future. I had two homes, in Idaho and Hawaii, and knew I'd have to give one up, along with a considerable amount of Federal Reserve notes. While sitting there pondering, there came a knock at the door. When I opened the door, a beautiful, long haired, redhead carrying a bottle said,"have you any ice?" and three years later, she's still in my bed.
The relationship hasn't been without turmoil as it at first angered my best friend and his wife. Not because they felt loyalty to my X whom they had long known. the beautiful woman, lying beside me now, was their daughter, and he and I are still friends.
:eek: ( Joe Dirt ) " D A N G " :eek: