e bike build

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I got a new frame and hopefully a new job. If everything works out id like to build a electric ripper. Where and what size motor can perform on par with the 2 stroke kits?

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Are you looking for a hub or mid motor set up?
I was going to build a hubzilla but decided on a Golden Eagle just to cruise around town.
Decide on:
What voltage
How any watts
What type of battery
And most important.....
How much you're willing to spend.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Lets lay out a few things first. You will need a 1000w motor to keep up with a 50cc gas engine and you will spend a lot on those Li batteries kevyleven007 mentioned if you want to have any range. If range isn't important to you, get a 1kw motor. A 500w 36v hub motor is most popular setup and offers a balance between range, speed and cost. A 500w 36v motor will propel you for ten miles around 20 mph or so with cheaper lead acid batteries. Pedalling along and lowering speed will increase your range.
In my opinion, if you need good range and speed, it is far cheaper to mount a gas engine. However, I may be getting an electric kit soon because my commute to work requires that I take the sidewalk to avoid mixing with 60mph traffic.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I agree. If you are going to go with the SLA's I would recommend a 48v 500w. That will give you a bit more range without weighing you down too much and should do 22-24 mph and make it up most hills. And you can get 12v12ah SLA's on ebay pretty cheap. They will actually cost you more in the long run but if that's all you can afford go for it. That's what I started with a 36v600w SLA kit. You can allways upgrade the batteries latter since a brushless hub motor should last at least 5 years or more unless you break it. The next bike I build( when I get the money) is going to be something like this. With a rear wheel hub motor( not sure which one or how many watts yet). http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/jub_trl_xii_blk_2100.jpg

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have this KHS soft tail that I may put a rear hub motor on. No disk brake, but otherwise well suited.
I lived in AZ when the pic was taken.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Nothing to lay out, he wants a "ripper"

I have no clue how to build a ripper that will keep up with the 2 stoke kits.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
well, the Stealth can perform better than the 2-strokes... but it ain't cheap... You gotta have the $$$$$ to build a ripper or reaper. I'm guessing if you want an electric bike to perform like the 2-strokes, you might have to work with 72 volts and above. Then there's a question if your controller can take that much voltage... so it can be very complicated... Try to do some research first before building. Endless sphere is a good resource. From there , it mentioned that motors are not voltage driven, but are current driven, so over-volting is a common practice as long as your controller can take it. But in everything else, over-volting has it's limits...

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I good downhill mountain bike would cost more than that kit. Some people have deep pockets. I'm a budget e biker so its a little out of my league. But, he did say ripper not cheaper

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I would say the sweet spot right now for weight- price- reliability-power is a 48V geared set-up with a 20Ah LiMnCoNi battery. You might be surprised at the torque and how light the battery is. Use your gears and a tiny amount of pedaling to stretch the range out.

72V 20Ah LiFePo battery will be large and heavy.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Golden eagle! Yeah that's a gas motor kit but we know what you mean. I'm torn between that and the city e cycle regen controller kit. I like both of them. I cant really see a 3000w 72v hub doing 60mph though. Maybe 45. You still there Greydog?

Last edited: