Disc Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

Chop Chop

Jan 17, 2009
Paradise
Hey guys, how do you mount custom disc brakes on schwinns and wcc? Do I have to get something engineered or are there places to purchase? Thanks in advance.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Disk brake rotors require disk specific hubs.
You can mount a rear caliper with a frame adapter like "A2Z" on EBay. I used one on my diamondback. Using disk brakes on the rear will require you to get a special rear sprocket that will work with a disk rotor installed.
You can buy a front fork with disk brake tabs for the caliper. You can drill some rigid and springer forks to post mount a caliper, like "Venice Boy" did.
You can see that it can be expensive. It might be cheaper and easier to just get a drum brake wheel for the front. Cheers

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Chop Chop,

As mentioned earlier, disc brakes require disc brake hubs....

The Top Hat Sprocket Adapter can help you run a sprocket with a rear disc brake.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Do mechanical disc brakes have significantly more stopping power than regular caliper brakes (the ones that clamp down on your rims) or do you need the hydraulic disc brakes for a good fast stop?

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
yes disc brakes are WAY better then traditional still brakes like u-brake,v-brake,linner ect.I never tried the hydraulic disc brakes,mine are the mechanical type,I've heard that the hydraulic type are a pain in the a$$ to fix if your out on a bike ride and they fail on you.My disc brake will stop me on a dime,in dry or wet weather.They havent failed me yet.If you decied to go with disc brakes try to buy Avid Calipers alittle pricey but well worth it.There fully adjustable,some of the cheaper calipers you can only adjust 1 of the caliper pads,in turn makes the pads rub......hope this helps a little.....Randy

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Just a side note pdub,on the disc brake bracket,depending on your forks you might need to grind down the keyway on the disc brake bracket,I had to on mine,I used a drimel took about 2 minutes.The bracket works great..Randy.. oh yeah with your Avid caliper you'll be stopping on a dime.

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
the Tekro Discs on my mountain bike work fairly well, these Avid calipers ihave just never got installed, glad i held on to them! :D

i grinded the keyway off on a bench grinder, then smoothed it out with a surface cookie.
my buddy polished it up last night and it looked like a mirror!