Didn't ride my motorized bicycle today.

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I put the root fairings on and wiped off some of the dust, charged the battery and busted her off. The air was nice and smooth this afternoon. Notice Normans inside the hangar. It was sad cause it was just sitting there................................

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Yep, it's a Tailwind. It's the older style W-8. I bought it as a basket case and have redone most of it. Norman helped me shoehorn an 0-320 Lyc. under the cowl. In fact Norman helped me build the cowl. I learned a lot about fiberglass on that project. Hey Norman why haven't you been flying your plane? It sure looks lonely in there..............................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Your dead fly has been blocking the exit thats why!rotfl
A little water and cleaning and it will fly again.
I'm in Mo. now so its hard to fly a plane in Texas when I'm in a couple of states east of there.
Anyone in or close to Jefferson city and want to ride?
I'm glad you finally got it flying again.Now if the price of gas would take a nose dive so we can afford to go play in th skies and scare the jell out of everyone.
Norman

Last edited:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
The top craft sure looks like one of Bede's.

I don't know about the bottom.

I was beginning to work on my IFR in an Ercoup like this:

But the gasoline situation now has me stalled. (even at 4 gallons per hour and a 5 hour range that could put me anywhere in the east coast to the mid west) Unless I hook up to a seriously well paid job where I can travel using such a plane and have the tax advantage...well, the Ercoup's gonna be a hanger queen and fly the patern on saturdays just to keep it up.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The W-8 is a blast to fly. I downloaded it but never got it on my flightsim.

Does that Ercoupe have the rudder pedal mod? The only one I ever flew had the single brake pedal. It broke all the rules for crosswind landing in a conventional gear plane...........................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
one of my friends used to have an aircoupe it did every thing at 85 take off cruise and land.
Bob's plane is not a bede it was designed by Steve Wittman an old air racer who could wring speed out of the ugliest airplanes that he designed and built but I still think they are pretty.
My airplane is designed by Ken Rand and is built like a big model airplane wood is the basic structure and fiberglass is all the curves parts moulded by hand over foamcores. My airplane is a big sanding contest sand until your blue in the face. the engine is built by me a 2180 cc vw engine.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Interesting stuff. I grew up at airports as dad an granddad were air force pilots and dad graduated from Sparta as an A&P (or A&E which ever). Grandad was a B 24 test pilot in his day and was involved in the development of that little "blinker" oxygen indicator the 17's, 24's, and 29's used. (and possibly even others) I've flown in Ercoups with them since I was four years old. Both the originals and the rudder pedal converts. They were well designed for their purpose and have a good record with the mods designed for them and their operations.

I'm well familiar with grand dad talking about Whitman as he was always taking dad to the Cleveland Air Races when he was a kid. (before my time) It was ashame the way Whittman and his wife passed away too with that fabric wing comeing unraveled.

Whitman had a chase plane called a "Butter Cup" that always fascinated me.
It was a 1930's design chase plane that could haul a load to the Cleveland air races. It would likely rival the German Storch STOL. STOL has always been a fascination with my family as here in the dairy land one could operate from the farm and stand flat footed and jump into the air. If I was really serious I'd look at a Maule. (STOL)

Dad wasn't with my enthusiasm for home built aircraft though. He thought the only real aircraft that was safe and sane was built in an aircraft factory where every process was controlled and inspected by certified techs putting it together. Then he was working as a safety agent FI in those days. So when I was in highschool drooling over Rand's KR 2 he kept extoling the virtues of Ercoups. (claiming in the long run it would be less headaches)

The biggest thing he did was make me promise him that if I wasn't going to fly at least once or twice a week year around I'd stay on the ground. No need getting a license to kill yourself, he told me. So, now I'm kinda in limbo. A few years ago I talked to a guy in Charlotte NC who was in the Ercoup club who and traveled in his in his line of work. But now with MS Net Meeting and
such internet options I don't know if I'd even need to travel except to firm up raports with clients.

Some photos:

Whitman's ButterCup had leading edge extendable/retractable (I'm not sure slats is right.....possibly more like overgrown spoilers) that would change the characteristics of the airfoil.

View News

An image of me as a teen fixin to get yelled at for sittin on the door. (mom wanted to take my picture and thought it was a good idea at the time)
Dad got all bent. But he used to fly this Merlin for a banker he knew.

Now if ya just wanna stick the keys in it and go....get yurself a Maule !

The photo is of B D Maule jumpin it into the air from the hanger floor.

As for me........I'd like to have my own little private grass runway with my hanger next to my house. Perhaps a track of five or so acres inline so I could do everything from home. That was my dream at least when gas was like a buck a gallon. I reasoned that with my road kit ( my laptop, digital
camera, camcorder, scanner etc) and an overnight bag I could travel and produce eCommerce web sites, desktop publishing, and advertisments etc for clients. Who knows, join toastmasters and travel to give speeches too.
But I live on the river here in the Ohio Valley and this year I haven't seen two dozen motor boats on the water where before there were hundreds of them.

I'm betting there's gonna be alot of planes go out of their license/inspection and lose their grandfathers. So, I'm keeping my eyes open.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I met a guy at Osh Kosh in 2003. His name is Earl Luce. http://www.luceair.com He built a Buttercup and sells plans. I love the leading edge slats. It will really fly slow. Wittman was supposedly developing the slats for the Tailwind when he died..............................