Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
The RT carb is a good one, pirate cycles and treatland.tv both have the dellorto jets in one or two size increments

I run the RT carb on a stock BGF Engine with a sbp expansion exhaust and the shorty billet intake and it runs perfect with the #70 jet, im in central Texas at 1240ft elevation.

I typically solder and drill my jets with wire gauge bits until I get the plug color im looking for.

It does sound like a lean condition may be what caused your failure.

Map
.wee.
Ok, thanks for info, I will check around for those different size jets. If I can't find any maybe I will attempt to drill one out with a wire gauge bit. Is it a bitc h to do? I hate to have to go back to the stock NT. But I know I don't want to blow another top end and I'm still totally sold on the Dax balanced bottom end. I'm not ready to give up on this one yet, I guess I will replace the top end :). I only wonder why it took so long to fail if it was jetted too lean to begin with. Maybe it just reached a breaking point as it started running hotter and hotter?

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Hi Tyler,

Also be aware that Maxima recommends using a richer oil mix ratio with their Castor 927 oil while using alcohol blended fuels. This, and their recommendation of running a 24-32:1 ratio for 50-80cc engines, might suggest that you'll want to try various ratios in the 24-30:1 range.

Edit/Note: You'll want to make sure that you're using the stock, or near stock, carb jetting when using the pre-mix ratios mentioned above (many Chinese 2 cycle bicycle engines have a factory recommendation of running a pretty rich oil mixture ratio (i.e. 20-26:1) and, as such, come with carb jetting that reflects these oil ratios. Note: Reducing the oil mix ratio tends to richen the carb jetting while increasing the oil ratio tends to lean the jetting). This might explain why some those who run leaner oil mix ratios than what the factory recommends find the need to lean the carb jetting a bit.

HTH

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ok, thanks for info, I will check around for those different size jets. If I can't find any maybe I will attempt to drill one out with a wire gauge bit. Is it a bitc h to do? I hate to have to go back to the stock NT. But I know I don't want to blow another top end and I'm still totally sold on the Dax balanced bottom end. I'm not ready to give up on this one yet, I guess I will replace the top end :). I only wonder why it took so long to fail if it was jetted too lean to begin with. Maybe it just reached a breaking point as it started running hotter and hotter?
It is very easy to solder and drill the jet,

#1) wire gauge bit set

#2) pin vise for hloding the bit or dremel type rotary tool at low rpm

#3) propane torc or if you have an electric cook stove in your home you could set the jet on it and test the temp with the solder every few seconds until it will melt a very samll amout into the fet hole and then immediately remove jet off cook top.

Besure you have sprayed thr jet off real good with carb cleaner so that there isn't an oil residue or the solder may not stick, also the best way I have found to make sure you dont end up with to much solder it the jet is to use the small thin wire solder and then what I do is I cut a piece about 1/8" long and lay it in the hole of just, I dont solder inside the threaded part of jet just hold it with pliers or sit it on cook top with threads down and lay the small piece of solder on jet hole and as soon as it is heated enough with either torch or cook top so that the solder melts into jet hole remove from heat, over heating the jet will destroy it, I melted one one time not paying attention and held the heat on it a little to long....lol!

I buy my wire gauge bit set from widgetsupply the entire shootin match will only run about $6 if I remember right.

Easy way to tune the carbs just go one size at a time and tes on clean spark plug each time to get a good plug chop/reading looking for a nice medium chocolate brown color and only a bit of 4 stroking at lower speed at part throttle and then none at medium+ throttle and on hills.

I know I sound like a broken record on this topic but im telling you straight up that if you want the best protection and best overall performance from your china girl, get her drinking Opti2 and she will be a strong healthy young lady.......I have run mine at wide open throttle which is over 8000 rpms and 45-48mph for 7-8 mile stretches with no problems, that engine is running a well tuned NT carb and a straight pipe exhaust...... loud and crazy but it hauls tail and I'm running Opti2 @100:1 runs cool and fast.....!
Myself and many others here have proven the stuff just plain works and protects the engine plain and simple, I highly recommend it because it had engin failures using other "high quality 2 smoker oils and not one failure sinc going to Opti2 and the engines im running now are much stronger and high compression than the ones that failed on other oils.

Mix it right.

Tune the carb.

And enjoy the ride when you have Opti2 on your side...!

Map
.wee.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Mapbike:

Thanks for the jet info!! Okay, I will try the Opti2. Is this the stuff? 100x1 seems unreal and makes me feel kinda uneasy. I'm replacing the piston rings and cylinder so I'm going to have to re-break it in again. Should I break it in at 100x1 too? Also, do you think it's smart to mix it with the Castor 927?

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I talked to Dwayne at noon today when I ordered the very first one !!!
He only ordered 80 units and he said shipping with start on thursday next week.
Whatz this about not having forks , I do'nt remember inviting any you guys to dinner ?? Did somebody ring the doorbell behind my back I was a nlaffapping ???

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mapbike:

Thanks for the jet info!! Okay, I will try the Opti2. Is this the stuff? 100x1 seems unreal and makes me feel kinda uneasy. I'm replacing the piston rings and cylinder so I'm going to have to re-break it in again. Should I break it in at 100x1 too? Also, do you think it's smart to mix it with the Castor 927?
Yep thats the stuff, I break my engines in on Opti2 some I have broke in on 70:1 and my latest build started on 100:1 and just keeps running better and better with around 150 miles on it now, the secret is to have a well tuned carb and no gasket leaks that could cause a lean run condition, no matter what oil you use a bad lean condition will fry the engine in a short amount of time which Im sure you already know.

That is a big jug of Opti2. .... and a good price looks like.

Best wishes if you'll have the same results as I have and many others you'll enjoy running the Opti2, great stuff!

Map
.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I talked to Dwayne at noon today when I ordered the very first one !!!
He only ordered 80 units and he said shipping with start on thursday next week.
Whatz this about not having forks , I do'nt remember inviting any you guys to dinner ?? Did somebody ring the doorbell behind my back I was a nlaffapping ???
Got me another one on the way as well...... was really hoping he would have some of the cranks up for purchase....... oh well, ill just pull the good shape already broke in top off one of my other not so good balanced engines and pop that sucker onto the dax lower and. Have another strong and much smoother running engine.

Map

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Yep thats the stuff, I break my engines in on Opti2 some I have broke in on 70:1 and my latest build started on 100:1 and just keeps running better and better with around 150 miles on it now, the secret is to have a well tuned carb and no gasket leaks that could cause a lean run condition, no matter what oil you use a bad lean condition will fry the engine in a short amount of time which Im sure you already know.

Best wishes if you'll have the same results as I have and many others you'll enjoy running the Opti2, great stuff!

Map
.wee.
When I saw that Duane got new F-80s in I couldn't resist, so I decided to get a new one instead of replacing the top end for now. I took my engine off and I can still get this motor running again with just a new jug, needle baring, 2 rings, and a head gasket, the rest of the top end and the bottom end are still completely fine. Even though the rings broke and scratched up the cylinder the piston came through it undamaged, I guess it wasn't a total destruction seize. I also got that opti2, I'm going to try breaking in my new motor at 70x1. I just hope I can get this RT carb jet dialed in. Thanks for all your help!! brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
When I saw that Duane got new F-80s in I couldn't resist, so I decided to get a new one instead of replacing the top end for now. I took my engine off and I can still get this motor running again with just a new jug, needle baring, 2 rings, and a head gasket, the rest of the top end and the bottom end are still completely fine. Even though the rings broke and scratched up the cylinder the piston came through it undamaged, I guess it wasn't a total destruction seize. I also got that opti2, I'm going to try breaking in my new motor at 70x1. I just hope I can get this RT carb jet dialed in. Thanks for all your help!! brnot
Bes wishes on he build, so far I hwve had a good tune with the 70 jet in the RT carbs, free flowing exhaust is a good idea also.
You'll enjoy the dax balanced engine, I have three of them and one built real nice so far, cant wait to get the other two built and running, I really like these engines, nice smooth power when built up nice with clean ports in the jug and a good exhaust and well tuned carb.

Map reddd

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Bes wishes on he build, so far I hwve had a good tune with the 70 jet in the RT carbs, free flowing exhaust is a good idea also.
You'll enjoy the dax balanced engine, I have three of them and one built real nice so far, cant wait to get the other two built and running, I really like these engines, nice smooth power when built up nice with clean ports in the jug and a good exhaust and well tuned carb.

Map reddd
Yes, I plan to start with the 70 jet and see how it runs. I'm in Santa Barbara CA, which is mostly sea level but with mountains, and lots of elevation changes (using a 44T sprocket). I'm using a SBP exp. chamber set back a little bit to get more low end torque. Also, I replaced my spark plug boot with a good one from the auto parts store (the plastic one melted). usflg

Last edited:

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan

Map
.wee.
Opti 2 states nothing about 100:1 ratio. The say mix with one gallon on the 1.8 oz packets which i think is around 70:1? Not to start a war. but ordered my balanced lower end and top end yesterday! Cant wait

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Opti 2 states nothing about 100:1 ratio. The say mix with one gallon on the 1.8 oz packets which i think is around 70:1? Not to start a war. but ordered my balanced lower end and top end yesterday! Cant wait
Here is what I ordered---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/280842377784?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Check the 3rd picture of the label. It says:

Oil
6 fluid OZ-----mixes----5 US Gal. of gasoline
12 fluid OZ----mixes----10 US Gal. of gasoline
1/2 Gal--------mixes----50 US Gal. of gasoline
1 Gal----------mixes----100 US Gal. of gasoline

Entire Jug mixes 110 US Gallons of gasoline

I should also say that my jug came with no label, just the sealed jug without a label and nothing to indicate that it fell off. Isn't it illegal to send oil products without a label? Hmmmm, anyhow, its blue and feels like the right stuff, I mixed up a 70x1 gallon mix (about 1.83 OZ. of Opti2). I haven't used it yet though. .wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
70:1 works fine, I also buy the small packets that are set for that mix.

Funny thing is right beside the 1gal mix packets are the 2.5gal mix packets that are a 100:1 mix.

Many people and some equipment rental businesses have been using Opti2 at a 100:1for a long time with great results, I have not had a single engine failure since switching to Opti2 and I have always run it at either 70:1 & 100:1 lately I buy the 100:1 mix packets. My engines run great and I run hard and fast most of the time because I ride on open roads and very little in town riding since I live several miles from the nearest town.

You can run Opti2 at 100:1 or 70:1 with confidence, just make sure the carb is jetted correcly just as with any other ol or mix.

Map
.wee.

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
70:1 works fine, I also buy the small packets that are set for that mix.

Funny thing is right beside the 1gal mix packets are the 2.5gal mix packets that are a 100:1 mix.

Many people and some equipment rental businesses have been using Opti2 at a 100:1for a long time with great results, I have not had a single engine failure since switching to Opti2 and I have always run it at either 70:1 & 100:1 lately I buy the 100:1 mix packets. My engines run great and I run hard and fast most of the time because I ride on open roads and very little in town riding since I live several miles from the nearest town.

You can run Opti2 at 100:1 or 70:1 with confidence, just make sure the carb is jetted correcly just as with any other ol or mix.

Map
.wee.
Oh yeah, ive read the whole opti 2 thread. Didnt know about the 2.5 gal packets being 100:1 though. Should get my lower and upper monday
brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Oh yeah, ive read the whole opti 2 thread. Didnt know about the 2.5 gal packets being 100:1 though. Should get my lower and upper monday
brnot
Good deal, clean those ports up good on the jug/upper tune your carb good and run as free flowing of an exhaist as possible and you'll be a happy camper, im working on my second dax build now and have another waiting when this one is done.

The smoothness and extra top speed is something I really enjoy with my first dax Gen IV build.

Map reddd

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I'm sorry I forgot and went to strangers about what we talking about?
what is the topic is this thread I can't remember?
O yes, does anyone ?