Custom exhaust for beginners

GoldenMotor.com

Skinnypartdeux

Jan 26, 2013
Louisiana
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but I just can't find it. I want to build a custom exhaust for my chinagirl, I've read that custom exhaust should be left to the pros, but they had to start somewhere, right? Just a few questions, could I just cut my stock exhaust and lengthen the pipe putting the muffler at the back of the bike? would there still be enough back pressure if I split the pipe in front of the rear wheel and had one pipe running on each side of the rear wheel? Will lengthening the pipe add anything to my performance? If there are already threads on the subject, just point me in the right direction, and I'll mosey on my way! Thanks!

Also, has anyone ever thought of or tried to use one of these http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170979991903&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=01236500795 at the end of their exhaust? I'm a musician and thought it would be cool if possible

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
3/4" EMT(electrical conduit) makes a good pipe. It can be bent, with a conduit bender, welded, brazed and is strong enough for a proper exhaust system. A plus is that if you have access top a bench buffer, EMT will polish up to a near chrome finish that only requires periodic maintenance to keep it shiny.

I and many others have done what you suggested. That is to cut the kit muffler off and weld it back on at the end of your custom pipe. Of course if you're looking for performance gains the expansion chamber is the way to go but in all honesty I've experienced a little gain from a longer pipe.

As for splitting and running straight pipes; You need a little more back pressure than that will provide. Fully open exhaust will cause an over lean condition which can damage your engine as well as becoming an annoyance to your neighbors and bringing you unwanted negative attention.

Tom

Skinnypartdeux

Jan 26, 2013
Louisiana
Thanks Tom! I'll take a closer look at your pictures to get a better idea of what I need to do. Was the bugle a little too ridiculous to consider? Lol