Crazyhorse's How to stretch a StingRay Chopper conversion into a XXL Chopper!

GoldenMotor.com

GenMinion

Sep 19, 2020
Are you saying 2 1/2"x 1 1/2" 16/14ga steel tubing is a snug fit over the Schwinn factory oval bottom tube?
If my measurements are correct, though it may require crushing/cutting/forming the Factory oval to fit inside the Rectangle tube, as the Oval is JUST under 2.5"x1.5" by like .240" or so, so the 16/14ga should work, maybe even 11ga or .120 should do, but won't know until I can try to source the rectangular tube locally (Not fond of spending almost $30 for steel just to take an irreversible chance). Far as the down tube and top tube are concerned, was thinking of getting the 1.75+ tube, find a size that fits snug into that, cut the 1.75 to length, drill about 4-6 holes into each end in an X pattern around the ends,cut off about 4-6 inches of the smaller tube, slot it halfway into both ends of the 1.75 tube, weld them together at the holes. That way the fill-in tube has extra support at the joints, then finish welding together. Kinda hard to explain (never was good with explanations, was always the hands on type), so once I( get my project underway, I'll upload pictures on ym progress as well as any road bumps I might run into.

Reactions: motorhedfred

GenMinion

Sep 19, 2020

MadMadRonin

Mar 13, 2020
Oh absolutely, if you can get it local, go for it by all means. I'm without the capability to drive and live about 45 minutes from the nearest place to get metal.

Larry85326

Aug 21, 2020
Buckeye Az,
New here , but I have started the same idea and I found that a donor bike is cheapest for the metal. But if your looking to keep that same oval shape a vise worked for me. Just stand the tube up and slowly sqweeeze the tube and letting off a bit then back some more until you get the same shape. It took a few texts to get the correct shape but I did get it right. You should however take a marker or prick your finger and use your blood. ( Not recommended) and draw a line the length of the tube as so to get the ovals place in the same position.
I do however think you guys do rock at this . I wish I knew then what I have read now. The rig and rotisserie would have saved me countless hours of frustrations and cus words. I really how that this post gos on and more picks. I know it's not the first but I did however after all said and done did make mine in to a trike with a donor OCC bike a friend for lack of better words BUTCHERED . But the parts I did save he did not. I'll post pics once I figure out how to do such. The trike axel did make it so much easier to mount a 212 cc predictor on it.
Again you guys please keep up your work and hope to continue see more posts here. Thank you for reading along with my ramblings. Best of luck.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I'm getting ready to cut up and stretch one of my OCC Stingrays. Since I'm borrowing a welder, I want to have everything I'll need at hand. I'm using 1.75" OD .120 wall mild steel to lengthen the top tube so a 1.625 OD slug will be a good snug fit with a little heat and persuasion.

The only question is the inside diameter of the factory top tube. I can't measure it without cutting it first. Does anyone know the ID or wall thickness of the factory Schwinn top tube?