Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Wheels came in today !!!! They sure look nice. 11 gauge spokes. Woohoo !!!

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
You have your wheels, do you have a drive sprocket picked out? Chances are you have to off set the brake arm
Which causes the brake arm to deflect laterally. In your application. you can weld on a brake arm hanger.
The brake strap that comes with the wheel is unlikely to hole the brake arm in place.
You need a photo of the one I pretzeled?
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
You have your wheels, do you have a drive sprocket picked out? Chances are you have to off set the brake arm
Which causes the brake arm to deflect laterally. In your application. you can weld on a brake arm hanger.
The brake strap that comes with the wheel is unlikely to hole the brake arm in place.
You need a photo of the one I pretzeled?
Tom
Ok and sure would love to see a pic. I’m planning on buying a sprocket and adapter from Pat.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The inside dropout dimension is 4 15/16" or 125.5mm. to accommodate the Shimano coaster hub.
The brake arm has an offset of 3/4" accomplished by two 45 degree bends which gets the brake arm to the center of the chain stay. /the bend locations is kinda fussy to clear the drive sprocket I.D.
Fussier yet is achieving a perfect chain line. Get your rear drive done first.
Pat's sprocket adaptor allows some in - out movement but having a sprocket to line up with will tell you where your engine output sprocket needs to be as it relates to engine left-right location. Fun thing is you get to be the Mechanical Engineer.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The inside dropout dimension is 4 15/16" or 125.5mm. to accommodate the Shimano coaster hub.
The brake arm has an offset of 3/4" accomplished by two 45 degree bends which gets the brake arm to the center of the chain stay. /the bend locations is kinda fussy to clear the drive sprocket I.D.
Fussier yet is achieving a perfect chain line. Get your rear drive done first.
Pat's sprocket adaptor allows some in - out movement but having a sprocket to line up with will tell you where your engine output sprocket needs to be as it relates to engine left-right location. Fun thing is you get to be the Mechanical Engineer.
Tom
Lol well here I come!!!

couldn’t resist mounting some old tires on my new wheels to see what they look like.

I’m really liking these wheels. Will need to put another order in soon for my next build

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
OK, so the small oxygen and acetylene tanks suck. they just don’t last very long. I was making some really nice progress this afternoon brazing and my oxygen ran out. My acetylene is already back down to 500 pounds too, so I’m rushing to the welding store before 5pm.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Next time you got to the welding shop check the price difference in filling big tanks and the ones you have, you will find out for a couple bucks more to fill the big one then the small ...............Curt
Will do, and check ALL my supplies before going next time lol. As quick as they go, I’d be better off with the big tanks.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
All right, I have built the brass up quite a bit on these joints. I’m going to give it at least one more go around before I call the brazing done.

besides my angle grinder and my round hand files what else can I use to grind this brazing down? My Dremel just broke on me two nights ago so I need to replace it but that is a good option, I think. Some type of rounded grinding stone for it.

Ugly but getting there

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Welcome to the club of dead Dremel's Danny. I am on my third in fifty years. Not counting a Ryobi, no longer available, and a plethora of Dumore's.
Half round files, 6 and 8 inch have the best radius profiles. A dull file can cut ferrous metal, only a new sharp file can efficiently cut nonferrous metals. Be it Aluminum, brass. bronze, or copper. I have dozens of cast off files from a investment casting Co. whose aluminum wax casting molds I serviced and repaired.

MCS MSC Industrial Supply - Metalworking tools and MRO Supplies (mscdirect.com)
Or McMaster-Carr my personal favorite supplier.

Sculpting a radius with a file. It is a natural inclination to push the file from low to high. The opposite form from high to low gives the best control of the file strokes. ( From my Master Ray Nystrom, wounded at the Battle of the Bulge)

There after. Nick named Nine Finger Nystrom. In the heat of a Fire Fight Ray took a $hit, balanced with the aid of his M1. His middle finger of his right hand was shot off. One of the Nurses who cared for him became his wife.
Ray had a disadvantage, not being able to give a proper middle finger.
Memories.
A generous application of gorilla tape to isolate the adjacent tubing, while whittling away and fairing the brass joints may be useful. Mind you, everything I have said about metal working is not recommended, except the file remarks.
Tom

Last edited: