Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The copper strap is genius. That will lift the tank above the ordinary for not a lot of money.

Steve.
thanks Steve, I just saw several pieces of the copper pipe in the garage and thought let me give it a try. Turned out about a 16th of an inch thick, similar to some flat bar I was looking at on eBay. Had it right here in the garage. Lol

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I ended up getting the cow hide seat, not the buffalo hide. I’m not sure if I’m keeping this on this bike. Might go ahead and order the lighter colored one and use this on a future Harley Davidson BTR build.

it’s about time to put up or shut up. My brazing has become better. Still practicing, but it’s not gonna be too much terribly longer before I start brazing on this frame. Since it supposed to rain Friday, I will have most of the day to work on it and some more functional horseshoe welding lol

Attachments

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Coming along nicely. Just make sure when you braze that you have the proper heat to get full penetration. Surface welds are pretty but weak. I usually tig weld my frames and if need be I will braze over the welds to smooth things out.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Coming along nicely. Just make sure when you braze that you have the proper heat to get full penetration. Surface welds are pretty but weak. I usually tig weld my frames and if need be I will braze over the welds to smooth things out.
Thanks OldBiscuit

Yea I probably need more practice. Although I am getting the chromoly glowing red in the process. So far I have beat the crap out of my practice joint with a sledge hammer and it held up well. The pipe started bending.

since my only other option is a flux core welder I figure I can do much better
brazing.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Reply received Danny, I will get these Wald fender braces to you as fast as a old fart can go.
I owe you for getting me to source stronger fender braces for my Huffy Davidson.
So as not to have a catastrophic fender failure. My wife thanks you too.
Tom
you’re a good man Tom. And tell the wife she’s welcome. All I did was let my hobby OCD Get me introduced to some cool and helpful people.