Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Yup that's the one Danny, mounting hardware will go in a bag or in a box. The Sunlite front fork has the part welded on to hold the brake arm, Just in case you change your mind. Right side had the mounting bracket for a disc brake caliper.
You got options.
Tom
Thanks Tom, definitely going with that wheel, appreciate you.

Reactions: fasteddy

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Glad to see more interest in your thread Danny, even if it is a dogcatcher:) who offered a link to Mr. B.'s Wisconsin engine'd Excalibur which is a Indian style rebadged tribute. M.B. is in Dubuque, Iowa. Friendly guy.
Philosopher too. He says it's riding and fixing, and fixing and riding. Home built's are that way.
d.c. also suggested a Boardie scratch built by Co Bappe, a Eastern Graphic Artist who kind of changed the metrics with a Vanguard V twin. Hand Built — CO BAPPE
Co goes by "Lurker" on Motored Bikes | Motorized Bicycle Forum AKA the other one.
If "fasteddy" Steve, "indian22" Rick, or "MotoMags" Keith, chime in or you do a search on them. To name just a few.
As an aside, couple of years ago Co silk screened some T-shirts with different perspectives of VEKST. Got one.
Tom
and hey Tom, all are welcome in this thread. The more the merrier until someone gets nasty or rude. I guess I don’t anticipate that anyone will be that way, but there’s an a-hole in every crowd

anyway, all of those builds are extremely intriguing. I can only hope to build
Something decent. But my new welder has me considering more fabrication. Specifically a gas tank, a laid back seat post and possibly forgetting the sprinter front end for a fake one. May build something like Eugene did in the video I posted last, using the stock forks. But I would probably add some springs on the uprights he added. Something like this I saw at Home Depot tonight (Guts removed) might even look decent, but some real springs would look better Then I would have a solid stock front end looking springy

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
I happen to also be completing (slowly) construction on the interior of my house. Mostly trim out stuff with the exception of the hallway leading to the garage which has a tiny bit of framing remaining. So as much as I want to be practicing with my new welder today, I will instead (at least this morning and early afternoon) be putting up some distressed wood on a utility room wall. Also some on the ceiling in the shower, with the walls above the shower tub covered in corrugated steel. Sort of this look

With any luck I’ll have a little time to do some welding this evening.

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
If I’m gonna be running a 50mm bore motor on a Cranbrook, what are your recommendations for a rear sprocket? 36 tooth, 40 tooth or 44 tooth?

I want to climb hills, although that’s not really a problem around here, but I would also like to obtain at least 35 mph.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Danny,
Have you ordered chain yet? If you haven't, snoop around on Ebay. Sooner or later someone will offer NOS Diamond brand #41 roller chain at half or third regular retail. I know, I done it. The 415 crap is just that. The 415 that came with my Bike Berry kit stretched so much the spring loaded tensioner ran out of travel. The Diamond 41 chain on my flyer may have stretched a few thousands of an inch.
I'll offer another rarely discussed except on the other forum chain treatment. Chain wax. There is a home made recipe.
I actually did start there. Paraffin, Teflon powder, and High Moly grease. Degrease chain in mineral spirits and drain till dry.
Get a $10 crock pot from Wally world. Add and melt the wax, teflon, and moly grease on low, add chain, soak for an hour, then turn it off. Next day melt the wax again and remove the chain carefully. HOT! I use a bent coat hanger to fish the chain out and mind the dripping wax. I f you want to, wipe the chain down with an old terry towel.
That works well but still draws dust which wears all mating parts. So a brief search resulted in. Speed Wax.
MSPEEDWAX | Molten Speed Wax - Hot Melt Bicycle Chain Wax Lube By MSPEEDWAX
Check out all their links.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Hi Danny,
Have you ordered chain yet? If you haven't, snoop around on Ebay. Sooner or later someone will offer NOS Diamond brand #41 roller chain at half or third regular retail. I know, I done it. The 415 crap is just that. The 415 that came with my Bike Berry kit stretched so much the spring loaded tensioner ran out of travel. The Diamond 41 chain on my flyer may have stretched a few thousands of an inch.
I'll offer another rarely discussed except on the other forum chain treatment. Chain wax. There is a home made recipe.
I actually did start there. Paraffin, Teflon powder, and High Moly grease. Degrease chain in mineral spirits and drain till dry.
Get a $10 crock pot from Wally world. Add and melt the wax, teflon, and moly grease on low, add chain, soak for an hour, then turn it off. Next day melt the wax again and remove the chain carefully. HOT! I use a bent coat hanger to fish the chain out and mind the dripping wax. I f you want to, wipe the chain down with an old terry towel.
That works well but still draws dust which wears all mating parts. So a brief search resulted in. Speed Wax.
MSPEEDWAX | Molten Speed Wax - Hot Melt Bicycle Chain Wax Lube By MSPEEDWAX
Check out all their links.
Tom
I have not ordered a chain yet, funny though I was just looking at them on Amazon.
I hopped over to EBay and they have one

like this?

Also thanks on the tips and information on keeping the chain maintained.

Learning how to adjust this little welder I got. this was my last bead I ran. Getting there.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Dude if you don't I will, chain wise.
Yer weld bead is respectable. My home 110V flux core welder only got use once so far, repairing a weld on a mower deck.
These dinky welders have limited continuous service. But a good breeze can keep you going.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Dude if you don't I will, chain wise.
Yer weld bead is respectable. My home 110V flux core welder only got use once so far, repairing a weld on a mower deck.
These dinky welders have limited continuous service. But a good breeze can keep you going.
LOL, OK force my hand, chain ordered !!!!

i’m getting there on the welder, it’s all about understanding thicknesses and wire speed.