Computer Question

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay all you 'puter savy guys. I need a little help here. Just installed Qwest High Speed, big step up from dial-up, but now all the ads, avators and most photos on this and all websites are not there. Instead there are blank squares with a little red 'X' up in the corner. Qwest tech help wasn't much help. They say its a website issue, not their's and I can't find a way to turn this feature back on. Does anyone have Qwest HS and have you run into this situation? Oh, yeah, my ISP is Qwest/Windows Live or MSN. I miss all the clutter.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My cursor stops moving. I can high light things if I move my mouse around but sometimes I lose it and it I cannot do anything.

I have tried 3 different mouses and have also tried unplugging and plugging the cursor wire back up. The only thing that seems to help is to do a restart. Any ideals?

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
My cursor stops moving. I can high light things if I move my mouse around but sometimes I lose it and it I cannot do anything.

I have tried 3 different mouses and have also tried unplugging and plugging the cursor wire back up. The only thing that seems to help is to do a restart. Any ideals?
what operating system are you useing and is it 32 or 64 bit? also desktop or laptop? lemme know and ill figure it out for ya

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois

Try a USB Mouse if you have one around.Your mouse port may need cleaned witch is unlikely..Any problems with viruses? Do you run scans atleast once a week? This usually occurs with Windows XP Versions witch is caused by many different things.Run a scan with AVG or Norton,clean up your computer and analyze & defragment your PC.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The o s with my computer has been really bad lately. It just seems to lose interest quickly, now that I've reformatted. I think it may be that it's best firewire days are behind it, but maybe if I replaced the processor?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I find the processor is usually one of the last things to go. The cheapo Chinese power supply that comes with most PCs on the other hand...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Its a 64 desktop And I have run a virus sweep and defragmented just about a week ago. Seem to be doing better today. But this has happened in the past just yesterday it kept doing it over and over.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
maybe if I replaced the processor?
I'd max out the memory. See what your pc is rated for (ex. 528mb). If your pc has a memory slot empty just add a card. Sometimes pc's come with only one slot filled and with minimum memory installed. If this is the case and you get two memory cards (if all you have is 2 slots) that meet the max requirement for that pc and you'll have a faster pc. There only about $20 a pop too.

A larger processor isn't going to help you if you don't have the memory it can operate with, I think.

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
many people are nervous when they are told to pull apart there poota yer best bet is to
1. get an external hard drive and put all you chit onto it
2. the best piece of advice i have. buy a mac they dont get viruses
3. if your a stooge like me look around crraigslist and local papers

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
1. dang good advice FTW (I never keep data I value on the puter, that way I don't need worry if the OS freaks).
2. Unfortunately no longer tru - the Mac code was cracked last year.
3. May actually not be worth the hassle, a used 'puter is often no better than the one it's replacing and low-end new ones are so cheap now - why inherit someone else's issues?

Ofc this is just my humble opinion, after alla BS I gotta deal with fixing other people's schizophrenic systems I may well be a lil short on patience regarding such things lol

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
A hard drive wearing out is, I think impossible to diagnose becuase it can mimics so many of these symptoms. They do seldom go bad but I have had the experience.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
kkThe memory thing is true. Put your money in memory not processors. Speedup is significanly better with more memory. With a bigger processor it does run bigger apps faster I think but over all memory is the way to go.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Easy way to see if its a HD is to simply connect another one and see how it reacts. Out of the 4 HD i've had for 15 yrs now only 1 has gone bad. I do know what Nouget is talking about but my HD just wanted to be different.:)

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
I agree w/ the guys on the power supplies. a POS supply can cause you headaches.
Max out on memory is the thing to do, also when possible get matched pairs (2 of the same size)

ON the processors I somewhat disagree, not all processors are made equal. a 64 bit processor does you no more good if you run a 32bit OS than a 32 bit processor of comparable specs. you want the largest L1 & L2 cache possible within your price range. more cache = more code space = faster processing of code. Another factor on the processors is external clock speed, just make sure your mobo can support it and try to max it out.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
FR31 I would move the mouse to another USB port or swap it with the keyboard and see if the keyboard goes out. It could be a USB slot going bad it does happen. A restart reinitialize the motherboard hardware which would restart that usb port if moving the port solves the issue then you know where the problem is if not it may be a software issue at that point. Thats my 2 pennies anyhow but what do I know I am just a computer engineer

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
FR31 I would move the mouse to another USB port or swap it with the keyboard and see if the keyboard goes out. It could be a USB slot going bad it does happen. A restart reinitialize the motherboard hardware which would restart that usb port if moving the port solves the issue then you know where the problem is if not it may be a software issue at that point. Thats my 2 pennies anyhow but what do I know I am just a computer engineer
Thanks MB-Monkey, really appreciate it :)

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I got a very nice gaming system/home system with a Acer 23" HD Monitor I'm trying to sell if anyone might be interested?