Clutch VS Torque Converter

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have both and it all depends on how you ride it. I like the CVT for every-day riding. Its smoth and easy, takes off quick and goes into overdrive nice. I have one on my boardtrack bike and really enjoy it. Its great for a every day rider. It works nice with 160 and above cc. You would be happy with it on your bike Vs: that clutch setup. The clutch is really only good for a race bike if you ask me. Try it and you might want to keep that nice bike of yours....Laff

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yeah thats the answer I was hoping to read and I was sure about this before. I am tired of the whole Jackshaft setup. I don't really plan to sell it but I got some nice offers. Let's see.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I would buy the cvt from Bucko and try it. I run this setup and enjoy the overdrive and low rpm while doing 45. You put a lot of cash in that bike and it turned out nice.

My rear sprocket is a 44 tooth so yours should be fine. Let me know if you have any questions... CCC

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I ran a cvt on a race that my son won on, people followed and built bikes just like it...Scotto ran one on a race bike for a long time and did well. If you check that cvt was on a built 196cx that puts out way more hp than a 160cc. Look up my bike.

Remember what I told you when you put your bike together? Your gearing was way off... You don't hear me.... I see...you have wasted a lot of cash my friend....I got a few nice surfboards that I will sell ya...

What's your plan now....

Attachments

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I know my gearing was off because when I posted that, one sprocket was damaged from the vibration and I used longer ratio. I tried it with 10.000ratio and its way too short and still impossible to drive unless I spray WD40 on it every 10 min. Anyways, why could it be that Buck (David) had such strong vibration?

Did you see that?

--
Do I see it right or did you install another mount and bearing for the jackshaft? From what I have seen the TC only comes with one bearing right?
--

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I made my own cvt plates that's why you see the third bearing. You need this to mount the engine centered in the frame. The plate that comes with the cvt should work fine for you... It has two bearings in it...

What are your plans now? A Chinese moped may be cheaper in the long run.
Btw what kind of offers did you get on your bike?

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Well right now I installed a metal plate going from the jackshaft mount with a new hole from the sprocket area up to the engine because the whole jackshaft mount is vibrating, since its only bolt on with the 4 screws around the clutch and the back part where the sprockets are is hanging in the air. I gonna go for a short test drive to see whats going on.

I really dont know. I got some good offers from Switzerland and the states but I wait for one that is really worth selling it. Until then I keep working on it.

I really dont know what to do. I thought the TC would be better and thought it had less or no vibration and I have the advantage of variable gearing for take off and not only one fixed gear, although the engine have the power to launch it like a rocket even with a 7.300 ratio or lower. Anyways. Today I decided that a ratio around 9.100 is ideal. 8.100 was it the day before and before that 10.000 which was way too short.

Its either the Cheetah or Davids TC... Really undecided. I would like to hear another opinion in this one. hmmmm

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Much much better. I put the clutch back to engage at 3000 instead of 2500 and installed a metal piece to mount the other side of the jackshaft mount on the engine as well and its drivable now, at leastr until I figure out what I will do about the clutch situation.

However, I have one big problem. I lost a whole bunch of the little screws that go inside the sprockets - I guess due the vibration. Anybody else have that problem? I am running out out of them. What can I do to prevent it? I am planning to go to NAtional tomorrow to see if I can buy screws, cut them and hopefully find thing nuts to close them on the other end so this cant happen anymore. What else could I do?

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
People say like 24hrs

But usually a couple of hours is good enough for the blue stuff

I'm sorry to hear your having so many problems with your new ride....it's truly a good looking bike with alot of work put into it.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
buck0 is selling a cvt but he had massive problems and vibrations. maybe because you dont have the 212cc?
The problem I had with it vibrating alot was because the tc engaged really fast, the same problem you had before you started spraying wd40 in the clutch. That engine has to have higher rpm's before the clutch engages and locks.

However, I have one big problem. I lost a whole bunch of the little screws that go inside the sprockets - I guess due the vibration. Anybody else have that problem? I am running out out of them. What can I do to prevent it? I am planning to go to NAtional tomorrow to see if I can buy screws, cut them and hopefully find thing nuts to close them on the other end so this cant happen anymore. What else could I do?
Agree with Johnny, blue lock tight everything especially on the 4 strokes.

If you still want to give it a try I'll sell it to you. Comes with 2 brand new belts valued at $30 each, 1 extra sprocket and the rest. A $270 value for $160 shipped.
Also I am no expert on the tc and have no idea what I was doing, although seeing some bikes than used it I definitely knew my setup was wrong so I took it out and installed the cheetah.

TC mounted on your engine, the 212cc predator before I mounted the cheetah. The tc is using the same 4 bolt patern that your using to mount the current jackshaft set up that you have.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
you told me that other guys used the TC and it worked well. did they had the same engine? i really dont know what to do. i guess it would be the best to get the cheetah to try that first since the js is perfectly set up already and if it doesnt work i can sell its fast and easy. but i REALLY would at least like to try the converter.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Scotto has the 212 preddy and the same tc and he had it dialed which I thought was good. Scotto eventually took the tc off and replaced it with, yep you guessed it, the cheetah xct2