Checking in from New York!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nitroscope8, May 26, 2008.

1. nitroscope8

nitroscope8 New Member

I'm Chris front Long Island. I built my first motorized bike 3 years ago for my brother. We shoehorned a 48cc engine int he frame of my brothers 19" mountain bike....without modification. About a year later I decided I wanted one of my owne and installed a 66cc 2 stroke (aka 80cc) onto a junk bike. Power wise they seem simlar, though the 66cc handles hills a touch better and goes a bit faster.

Both have seen about 250-300 miles of road time. The smaller one has a catalytic converter on it and it seems to do a pretty good job. I run a 30:1 oil mix in both without issue. Parts stay well lubricated and power stays up. Gone through 3 CDI units between both engines and they have the original spark plugs. I cut the exhaust baffle in mine half way. Little louder, power seems to have improved. Lastly, i'm using a 50tooth rear sproket on both bikes. The 48cc one gets better mileage than mine...oh well.

How long do these engines last anyway?

Attached Files:

2. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum chris glad you could join us :D Those are some nice ride's(^) I know some guy's that have gotten over 7,000 miles on there motor.

3. paul

paul Active Member

welcome to the forum chris and those are some fine looking motorized bicycles. i used to live in westbury and comuted to work on my pedal bicycle. more stop lights then i could count thier lol. glad to have you with us

4. nitroscope8

nitroscope8 New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've already put rubber in the fins of the cylinder head/top end the vibration has been reduced by a lot...neat little trick I learned today. so much info on this site!

5. Ilikeabikea

Ilikeabikea Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. Those are nice looking bikes. Thanks for sharing the pics. Glad you joined us................

6. rohmell

rohmell Active Member

I'm over here on Long Island, too, and although it's probably getting too cold to do it now, I am looking for other Long Islanders who might be interested in a get-together this coming Spring...

7. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Welcome to the forum. Lots of information and great people here willing to share what they know.
    SB