Chain Stretch???

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by psprat496, Jun 20, 2010.

1. psprat496

psprat496 New Member

Has anyone experienced extreme chain stretch with the #415 kit chain? I find myself having to re tighten the chain after a good 2 or 3 rides. I know the kit chain sucks but I was just wondering if this amount of stretch is normal considering I have about 300 miles through this chain already and it still stretches.

2. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have had chains that seems to keep stretching 4ever, some eventually stop. Others I have had to just replace.

I have not had any problem with the newer kits in the past 2 years, but before that I would usually replace the chain with a new better quality chain from the get go.

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, stretching (wear) is normal especially with the kit supplied #415 chain. Adjustments are just something you learn to live with or you replace the chain with a good industrial quality #41. Even a high quality chain will wear in a little and require tightening after a few miles but after that it will retain the tension better and wear a lot less. It is also less prone to having tight links/rollers and run smoother through the sprockets.
    Tom

4. psprat496

psprat496 New Member

I still run the stock tensioner and as it is right now with the #415 chain running over it, its a pretty tight fit. If I upgrade to the #41 will it not fit on the chain tensioner since the #41 I've heard is wider.

5. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

It will fit just fine.............