chain keeps hitting tire

GoldenMotor.com

ZOOMCAT

Mar 14, 2008
greatings fellow bikies.. can anyone give me tips on how to get the motor chain stop rubbing on the tire. i have a beach cruiser with 26's. do they make a thinner beach cruiser tire and will this help.thanks zoomcat

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I run a 1.9 tire on my cruiser. I also jave a washer inside between your wheel and the frame to move the wheel over a little. One usually doesn't hurt the wheel engine alignment.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Good advice Deacon.

I run a 1.90 also- plenty of room. But if it's just lightly rubbing, but not hard enough to feel resistance when pedalling, don't worry too much about it.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i went to the biggest i could find and use the chain tensioner to move it out just a hair from the tire. seems to work fine

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Zoomcat
If you have a dished rear sprocket with offset rim,install with concave side out.
That is with teeth furthest from the hub.If chain then is hitting fork try spacing fork out with washers.Installing and removing sprockets goes alot quicker if you chuck a socket with drive in a cordless drill.Make sure sprocket is not tilted but in a parallel plane with tire.If tire is running true take spring clamp and clamp a popsicle stick or similar to fork barely touching sprocket and turn wheel to see if sprocket is running true.Tighten bolts where its running out.Ron

Last edited:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Another thing you can try is to tighten the spokes on the opposite side of wheel to slightly dish your wheel away from the chain.I wouldn't overdo it though.Ron

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Any other way to keep the chain from hitting the tire besides getting a narrower tire, or with the tensioner? I don't want to go any narrower with the tire than it is now, and the chain keeps hitting the knobs on my tire. Sometimes when I ride it jerks kind of violently. Also, my frame is kind of damaged so using a tensioner in that spot isn't an option. My sprocket isn't concaved, and my wheel cannot be pulled more to one side or the brakes will not work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have the flat sprocket from bgf bike kit. I have to run two washers on the engine chain side or it rubs. I have coaster rear wheels so I can't speak to the brake issue. I run a 1.95 tire back there.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Any other way to keep the chain from hitting the tire besides getting a narrower tire, or with the tensioner? I don't want to go any narrower with the tire than it is now, and the chain keeps hitting the knobs on my tire. Sometimes when I ride it jerks kind of violently. Also, my frame is kind of damaged so using a tensioner in that spot isn't an option. My sprocket isn't concaved, and my wheel cannot be pulled more to one side or the brakes will not work.

Get a pack of single sided razor blades and cut off the knobs on that side. It takes about 20 minutes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Me either Joe my experience with wheels pulled to the side is they wobble. Of course I never did it intentionally so I'm no expert. Mine just got they way by accident.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think I'm going to try and cut the knobs off, but I like the knobs. Is there another way? has anybody made some kind of a 'tire guard' thing, that blocks the chain from hitting the tire?
I have the kind of tire that is smooth in the middle for road efficiency, but it has knobs on the side for a bit better traction on the grass and stuff, so the knobs are useful- here is a pic:
Rear Tire

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I think I'm going to try and cut the knobs off, but I like the knobs. Is there another way? has anybody made some kind of a 'tire guard' thing, that blocks the chain from hitting the tire?
I got lucky - mine barely hit the knobs for a couple rotation and done.

Suggestion:

I would space the rear sprocket away using a set of matched washers. How much interference are you having?

Just go to the hardware store and get 9 washers....(take rear wheel off) loosen the sprocket bolts - and I'm thinking NO NEED to take the sprocket all the way off if it's loosened - then one at a time take a bolt out and put a washer between back of sprocket and outside donut.

I haven't done this - am I making sense?

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
OK, maybe dishing the tire has some drawbacks but if your tire is not true I would make adjustments away from sprocket.As far as spacing the sprocket out some people use another nine hole rubber mount thingy . that is two of them between spokes and sprocket.Not sure if you can get them separately.Ron

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I found out that the knobby tires on pavement will make you dump your bike on hard cornering don't ask how I know. But you plan to ride off road so in your case they will help if they are not hitting too bad I'd keep on riding it and let them wear off or else cut them down a little if they are interfering a bunch.
Norman

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
"Just make sure the chain run is true."

What does this mean?
You want to make sure that your engine sprocket is in line with your drive sprocket, keeping the chainline straight. I use a steel rod laid accross both sprockets after the rear wheel and motor are in place. If they aren't in line you will be more apt to throw your chain. On one of my bikes I have some wheel rub, now I'm sure this will raise some flags, but I let it rub and it cut its own uniform grooves into the tire and now it runs great...Kelly