Chain keeps coming off

GoldenMotor.com

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
When I move the bike the chain just comes off of the sprockets once it’s at a certain point and the more I move it gradually comes off more (it starts to come off where the tensioner is) what should I do

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
From the picture your chain is too loose, tighten the chain first. Is that rubber where the tensioner mounts? If so it won't stay in place. To align the chain you'll need to twist the tensioner to align the wheel with the chain travel, the chain steers just like a bicycle, twist or bend it in the opposite direction than the side the chain comes off on.

Reactions: mapbike

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
yes shorten the chain and move tensioner back more towards sprocket, that's what i do to fix the chain.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Is the chain rubbing the tire or frame? If it’s the tire make sure the wheel is centered, I’ve seen people offset it slightly to clear. If it’s rubbing the frame add washers between the inside wheel nuts and frame to widen the drop outs apart.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
looks to me like that chain is still to loose, as already suggested, I'd remove a link form the chain and then you should be able to properly adjust the tension.

I 2nd Greg on how to potentially eliminate the chain rubbing on tire or frame and I also agree that the rubber between frame and tensioner needs to go above all for safety reasons.

That tensioner needs to e very very secure on the frame or it can rotate into spokes and create a very ugly situation for you and the rear wheel.

Reactions: Tyler6357

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
Is the chain rubbing the tire or frame? If it’s the tire make sure the wheel is centered, I’ve seen people offset it slightly to clear. If it’s rubbing the frame add washers between the inside wheel nuts and frame to widen the drop outs apart.
I had to get the wheel tightened because the chain was rubbing the tire due to wheel wobblying. The 2 parts of the chain were rubbing until I get the motor running then it’s really wobbly so I’m going to find a place to shorten the chain. I have removed the rubber I will give an update when the chain is shortened I really appreciate you guys for helping being that I use this bike to make money as a kid to pull my lawn care business

Attachments

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
Update I was on vacation so I haven’t worked on it in a while I removed the rubber and adjusted tensioner the chain rubbed slightly (the top and bottom) but it started running fine when I tried to use the breaks it jammed and would only move backwards when I moved it forwards it would stop the break is a coaster design

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Update I was on vacation so I haven’t worked on it in a while I removed the rubber and adjusted tensioner the chain rubbed slightly (the top and bottom) but it started running fine when I tried to use the breaks it jammed and would only move backwards when I moved it forwards it would stop the break is a coaster design
Coaster breaks will do that.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The coaster brake either needs grease added, or it was assembled wrong... (or both).

Tre

Aug 18, 2021
I can take it to a bike shop (the wheel) what do I tell them to understand

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Check the brake arm strap, if the bolt comes out or the strap breaks it will lock up the wheel, the internal parts are both left-hand and right-hand threads, when the arm is allowed to rotate it gets too tight locking up the wheel. Some people try to remove the arm all together which won't work.