Chain is not aligned properly between tensioner and rear sprocket. Help?

GoldenMotor.com

Auggievelvel

Apr 24, 2018
I'm working on my first build at the moment, just surpassing the stage of mounting everything. After mounting the tensioner, I rode the bike around to see how fluid the whole chain assembly was. Everything is working fine, except for the tensioner which is slightly diagonal in relation to the chain. Due to this, the chain is gripping the side wall of the tensioner as it rolls. I can post pictures tomorrow when I get back to it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for modification to correct the angle of the tensioner.

Great website, by the way. Helped me a lot to prepare before starting this venture.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
one can often put it in a vise and twist it a bit with a large crescent wrench - not a good idea to do it while still on the bike

Auggievelvel

Apr 24, 2018
one can often put it in a vise and twist it a bit with a large crescent wrench - not a good idea to do it while still on the bike
I could definitely give it a shot, but I lack a vise grip. Anyone else have any other tricks to get this thing aligned?

Attachments

Zeeb

Apr 10, 2018
I, too, am having issues getting the tensioner aligned parallel with the chain. I'm not sure what the problem is, though, with giving it a little twist while mounted on the bike? I already twisted it a little, while installed on bike frame, and didn't notice a problem.

Reactions: Auggievelvel

Auggievelvel

Apr 24, 2018
I, too, am having issues getting the tensioner aligned parallel with the chain. I'm not sure what the problem is, though, with giving it a little twist while mounted on the bike? I already twisted it a little, while installed on bike frame, and didn't notice a problem.
You, sir, bring me fantastic news at a perfect time. Did this resolve the issue? I may have to give it a shot, simply because I lack a vice of any kind.

Zeeb

Apr 10, 2018
um... it might have resolved it. My tensioner pulley still isn't perfectly straight, but chain appears to roll pretty smoothly.
Twisting the tensioner bracket helped a bit, but it was already close to straight, due to a couple shims I placed under the bracket while installing.
my problem (presumably yours too) is that the tensioner bracket is mounted to a bicycle frame member that isn't perfectly parallel to the chain.
Stacking shims under one side of the bracket can help bring it closer to parallel, though a slight twist with a crescent wrench may also be necessary. i made shims myself, cutting a piece of pipe into a couple "half moons".

I hope this helps