Chain guard? have or have not?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by bangbang880, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bangbang880

bangbang880 New Member

Thinking about taking my chain guard off? But a little worried about my pants getting caught which would I'm sure result in an ugly fall.
    Has anyone had a problem with getting their pants caught in the chain?
    (talking about the motor chain)
    .bf.

2. MatCauthon137

MatCauthon137 New Member

honestly, i have never installed a chain guard. now, i am still kinda a noob, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I am on my third build (first bike ran great, but was stolen) second bike, my wife's also runs great, and then mine which i am having problems with at the moment, so that is 2 bikes with no chain gurad, and we haven't had any problems...in fact on the first 2 i didn't even have a chain guard on the pedal side, i put one on mine just for looks..shft.

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I use them but I augment the front mount, which seem to be a point of cracking for some guys, with wide washers and rubber 'O' rings. I've never had a failure/cracks etc. I just like the looks too. As for your pants or shoe laces getting caught, I have more problems with the clutch actuator arm than the chain. I solved that by clipping my pants leg with a wide spring clip.
    Tom

4. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i just throw them away. they usually fall off anyway, so i never bothered.

i think about it now and then, but it hasn't happened to me.

i think there's an old thread about it, and one guy did get his pantleg sucked in. i think he just did a big skid.

5. Mac

Mac New Member

Never used one either, one of my major problems(my fault) is I kinda spin the pedals while I'm cruising along, resulting in my jeans turning the choke lever on(up, stock carb).

6. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

I always gotta ask, one or two skidmarks? laff

7. Salty Gator

Salty Gator New Member

On two of my bikes I've installed the guard.....for looks basically...just makes it more complete....I've never had an issue with my pants leg getting chomped since I live in Florida and don't wear long pants.....not even in our so called winters...LOL

Salty.shft.

Attached Files:

#7 Salty Gator, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

A Florida "winter" is shorts and tee shirt weather here. laff

9. Salty Gator

Salty Gator New Member

LOL !...there ya go Kev !....hahahahaha

Grins,
    Salty.shft.

10. Tim_B_172

Tim_B_172 New Member

The only time in my life that I have ever gotten my pant leg caught in a chain, it was on the pedal side and this bike HAD A CHAIN GUARD. I have no idea how it happened, I don't wear those ridiculous giant baggy pants either, just normal jeans. No crash either, I just stopped and removed my pants... from the chain! ... jeez, what were you thinking? ;)

11. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

THE PANTS :confused:

12. oldsub

oldsub New Member

Never got my pants caught yet, but I did install the chain guard. But this happen a few week ago, riding and wearing my nice new sweat pants a xmas present and they got burnt from the muffler. Made the person who gave them to me a bit unhappy

13. mbuna420

mbuna420 New Member

have not did not fit

14. windsors03cobra

windsors03cobra New Member

The 3rd time I rode my motorizedbicycle my pantleg got sucked in, the wheel locked up and that was that. After I was stopped I rolled it backwards and my pants came out and I was ready to go again. The pants were kind of lightweight trackie type pants.
    I put my chaingaurd on after that, I agree it makes it look more complete/inconspicuous and mine went right on real easy like.

I position my feet to a snice for and aft position on the pedals but I do get bits of black tar on my shoes. The black tar comes from the muffler and its leaky/blownout flange gasket.

15. Hoofbeats64

Hoofbeats64 Member

I came here because I am at this point on my first build. I trimmed it with a tin snips and filed any roughness, however, the clutch arm/spring rub on it. It also looks like something that is going to rattle in operation. May try without it first.

16. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

I like to use the chain guard, it just makes the bike look more finished. I have some tips for installing it but no time right now..

17. Hoofbeats64

Hoofbeats64 Member

I should attach a photo, it seems like it is going to come in contact with clutch arm and the spring chain tensioner that I have attached directly to the motor. After seeing that it could hinder the function of the tensioner I left it off until I actually get this thing rolling and working.

18. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

not needed except for looks in some cases - usually needs to be shortened at back and hole opened a bit more forward at front - I often glue a strip of old mouse pad inside at top to keep noise down

19. Hoofbeats64

Hoofbeats64 Member

I am on my first build and only a few steps left until test zone. How far should the clutch arm go to be engaged?

20. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

at rest, the arm should be pointing nearly straight back - adjust accordingly using all the steps listed on the forum here