Chain broke how do I get it off the clutch sprocket it is hard .

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I don't have a 2 stroke, but i would say hold the clutch in and rotate it off that way. Hopefully you got a better grade chain, and make sure it fits the teeth properly. Just my thoughts............Curt

Reactions: Dan

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
At this point (since you have already taken apart the clutch assembly) the easiest way to remove the chain would be to remove the flower nut on the opposite side of the engine. This will loosen the clutch plates allowing you to manually move the plates. If memory serves me correctly, you will have to press the clutch plates together while pulling on the chain. A bit tricky with just one person but doable. Same procedure used when adding the new chain back. New engines usually have a bit of resistance on the clutch plates while they are wearing in but if you have to force anything, you should reconsider your approach.

Make sure the replacement chain is of the same type. I went with the standard 415 chain on mine. See if you can get a stainless steel chain. Those are practically indestructible.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take out spark plug and turn sprocket with the spark plug tool - note: turning clockwise won't loosen the sprocket nut, so no problems later

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Now that everyone has told you the hardest ways to do it, here's the easy way.

Pull and lock the clutch lever on your bars. Pull the chain out.

To install the new chain, pull and lock the lever, feed the chain in from the top, while clicking the gear tooth by tooth with a screwdriver. If it doesn't come all the way out, bend a coathanger, grab the chain, and pull it out.

Wait. Sorry, I didn't see the pic where you needlessly took off the gear cover. So, you can put it back together and do it my way, or follow crassius's advice above...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Now that everyone has told you the hardest ways to do it, here's the easy way.

Pull and lock the clutch lever on your bars. Pull the chain out.

To install the new chain, pull and lock the lever, feed the chain in from the top, while clicking the gear tooth by tooth with a screwdriver. If it doesn't come all the way out, bend a coathanger, grab the chain, and pull it out.
LOL sorta what i said earlier.................Curt

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm guessing that the Original Poster may not aware of the master link in the chain. It might be something new to some folks who maybe bought their bike as a completed unit.

It looks like this:

When you install the new chain be sure to have the closed end of the "U" clip pointing to the engine as the chain is running to the engine.

Honestly, no offence intended if you are already aware of this.

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
Did it work out Lena?
bairdco is right, always start with the solution that requires the least effort (and disturbs the least stuff)

Welcome, to both the boards and a fulfilling, sometimes frustrating, and educational hobby1