Can't find a Kulana Moon Dog anymore.

GoldenMotor.com

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
I wanted to get a Wal Mart 26" Mens' Kulana Moon Dog cruiser for 114 dollars. That would make a good build. But they don't have them anymore; not on the internet, and not in the stores. Bah! In fact, I don't think I can find one anywhere; and if I could they would be about 50 dollars more by the time I paid for shipping.

Wal Mart has a couple of Schwinn Cruisers, but I don't like them particularly, especially the fancy red one with the Aluminum frame. The other one is not bad and has a black steel frame, but no front brake, and a coaster rear brake. The one with the Aluminum frame weighs more than the one with the steel frame, probably due to the multiple sprockets and the front brake.

I saw some kind of Kulana cruisers similar to the regular Moon Dog, but the tubes curved down, thus getting in the way of the engine, if one were installed. Also, the way the tubes bent down was ugly compared to the original Kulana Moon Dog with the smooth round curve. I'm going to try calling different Wal Marts that are within 150 miles to see if they might still have the bike I want. I doubt it.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Hmmmm, should have kept the one I bought one day last fall on clearance at my local wallymart for $69 and resold it......no, glad I didn't, wouldn't want it on my conscience.

I returned it after getting it home and looking it over well. Personnally, I think it's a blessing in disguise you can't find one.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
What are you saying?
No offense Joe but to each their own.
The one I bought I wouldn't own. It was one of the orange ones and I don't know if they are all like that but the welds were horrible, big booger gobs with no penetration on the tube joins. I wouldn't pedal it not less motorize it. Not complaining about a bike I paid $69 for, I just took it back because to
me it was unsafe.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No offense taken, I just wondered why the bad review.

I guess some of the Orange MD's (different frame from the Green MD's) had some pretty bad welds, and that is certainly a reason to opt out from them.

I have a Huffy Cranboob with really good welds, but if you look at ones sitting in wmart now, the welds are the WORST I have ever done...er, seen.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I know, old topic, just curious...
I have a new customer that wants me to motorize something for him but on a budget and he has one of these.
I don't know what model yet, or what kind of shape it's in, just wondering if anyone had more info or might know what it might be worth on Craig's so he could afford a new bike to motorize.

Thanks.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Lots of WalMarts where I live and I used to drive around and search out ones with nice welds.

For sure some of them were welded much better than others.

Same for almost all WalMart bikes.

I built several motorized moondogs with 2 strokes and ran the p out of them.

Take the fenders off first.

I like the brakes.

The blue and green ones have different frames than the orange ones.

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/motorbikers-bikes-21669.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/search/bik?query=moondog&srchType=A

They seem to hold their value. Rare for WalMart bikes.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have an old green one & it is an awesome foundation for a MB. Has a good solid feel to it. Is tiny and really needs a lay back seat post. A really classic and stylish ride.

The front fender let go and almost killed us both though. My bad as it was so stout, I stopped checking it.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have an old green one & it is an awesome foundation for a MB. Has a good solid feel to it. Is tiny and really needs a lay back seat post. A really classic and stylish ride.

The front fender let go and almost killed us both though. My bad as it was so stout, I stopped checking it.

A guy cold put a sweet in frame tank on that. One another note I already cant count the times something got over looked for trusting it lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man GH. I had wanted to put an I.F. tank on that bike for last few years and sort of forgot about it. Your right, is a great frame for one the way the cantilevers bow up. I have been playing with alumniweld and was looking for a real project to try it on. Pack of 8 Alumiweld Aluminum Welding Rods

Stuff is pretty awesome. Can file it to blend perfectly and only need the rods and a torch.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, I will know tomorrow.
It is the green 5 speed? derailer with front and rear hand brakes.
I will mounting a black grubee 66 with a chrome speed pipe.
All it needs I don't have is a teeter-totter self adjusting dual pull right brake lever, so I should have it wrapped up with some break in miles and re-adjustment by this weekend.

It is a budget build for a kid so I won't be getting too fancy, but I can what you guys mean about about an in-frame gas tank.
Tough to tell with the 213x160 cell phone pics he sent me though.

It does look to be in good shape from the little pics he sent however, and with derailer gears of course no tensioner will be needed ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well the guy dropped off the moon dog this evening.
Just a young kid really, his mom drove him over ;-}

I just set the motor in to see if it will fit but looks like it will.
Good call guys.

I let him take my luxury cruiser for a ride around the block too hehehe.
It was really rather comical. He is just a little young guy.
When I say little and young, I am talking 5'2" at best and maybe 110 pounds.

His mom had that 'deer in the headlights' look, and when he got back he had that 'kid on Christmas morning' look, literally.

I cut him a deal and will do it up right. I can't help but admire a kid his age going to school and holding down a job at his age.
My son is 20, still living with mom, and still can't seem to manage it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome KC. A lil bit of praise goes a long way to helping a kid stay on track.

BTW, awesome lookin' MoonDawg! Gonna get mine back on the road. I found an American made 46cc 2 smoker engine.