Can I Make This Work?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm new here.....

GoldenMotor.com

All_Around_Biker

Mar 21, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a Trek mountain bike that i want to put a Flying Hourse 66/80cc kit on from Bikeberry.com. I have not ordered it yet because of a little problem i might have. Now the problem i'm having some trouble with right now is the four shifter cables that run along the top of the down tube...If i mount the gas tank where i want to it will pinch those cables between the tank and the frame and i wont be able to use them...is there a way around this?? I'd really like to not buy another bike when i have a perfectly good bike right now! Please give me some feedback and any input or solution will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
OK, get rid of those stupid two piece cable sheaths and go out and buy a couple of one piece cable sheaths.
Put the tank in between the cable retainers (or file off the front retainer or rubber spacers) and put the 1 piece cables under the tank where the bolts are.
Every bike I've ever had were replaced by 1 piece cables, the 2 piece design is not worth your time.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can easily cut a small spacer for the mounts to keep it from pinching the cables. I use sections of old handgrip, but almost anything will work. Just cut or drill grooves to allow the cables to slide.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Toadmund has the right idea. unless u wanna end up with a hole in the tank.
i rode my old engine with the eyelets still in and had MAJOR problems with brakes and other things. when i went to install my second engine, i looked at the tank... had MAJOR denting in the bottom from hitting, banging, and crushing the eyelets.
get rid of the eyelets, and use 1 peice cable under the tank. use zap straps if u dont wanna put the cable in the tank clamps.